Respected Contributor

Re: Long Island next for Wegmans

@roeroe1005 wrote:

@panda1234,

I live in Lewes.  It's about 1-1/2 hrs on a small bus to get to Wegman's.  We stop there and then Trader Joe's.  And the bus is usually fullWoman Very Happy

It used to be $5 but with the increased gas prices, it went up a "whopping" $2.  And of course we always tip the driver.  

Well worth it!  But I have driven a few times also for my fix.

@roeroe1005 I know of Lewes but never been. I am in Wilmington/Pike Creek area. It takes me 30 mins.to get to Wegmans or as I call it the Disney World of grocery stores. 

Respected Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@ciao_bella wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

Yes the store is amazing but people are not mentioning how well they treat their employees. On Thanksgiving those who are working get a full cooked meal to have on their break. I was in the store one morning and there were about 12 employees in the produce department doing tai  chi being lead by another employee. They are smart when it comes to marketing, they just want to get you in the store. Halloween they have trick or treating for the kids in the different departments. Christmas is gingerbread house making for kids. Last weekend my store held an event where you could dispose of old medication. This is all that comes to mind. How could you participate in these thing and not pick up a few items you might need at home since you are there?

@panda1234 You are absolutely correct about Wegmans employee treatment.  As I have mentioned in a previous post, my daughter is employed by Wegmans and has worked there for over 5 years.  In addition to all the perks you've mentioned, Wegmans is 'always' doing many other nice things for their employees.  On your birthday, you get a 10" birthday cake from their own bakery and a Wegmans shopping bag full of specialty foods to take home.  They also have picnics and BBQ's with lots of food and games (Water Dunk the Supervisor Tank, etc) and always lots of food made by the chefs at Wegmans for the employees in the form of breakfasts, luncheons and dinners, some for special days or events, other times for no particular reason other than being nice.  My daughter recently won a beautiful Cuisinart Air Fryer Oven worth $225 for having one of the highest donation sales for their annual 'Feed the Hungry'.  There were 8 large prizes like the Air Fryer and the rest of the staff who didn't place as high in donations received a $10 Wegmans gift certificate.  Tomorrow is Cinco de Mayo and the chefs at Wegmans will have a very nice luncheon with all the trimmings for the entire the staff.   The list of nice things the company does for its employees goes on and on.  It's not a surprise that Wegmans has been named, year after year by Fortune 500, as one of the best companies to work for 

@ciao_bella Thank you so much for letting me know just how good Wegmans really is. I always see the same faces working there, that says a lot.

@ciao_bella forgot to add it is the same way at Costco.....same faces since they opened 19 years ago.

Trusted Contributor

@panda1234 

I'm in Sussex County, a few miles north of Rehoboth.  I'm in the area of the outlets.  There's been alot of new development being built here since I've moved here.  I'm about an hour south of you.

I'll wave to you the next time I drive thru your area!Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@roeroe1005 wrote:

@panda1234 

I'm in Sussex County, a few miles north of Rehoboth.  I'm in the area of the outlets.  There's been alot of new development being built here since I've moved here.  I'm about an hour south of you.

I'll wave to you the next time I drive thru your area!Woman Very Happy

@roeroe1005 @Yes, please wave. You need a Wegmans down your way. 

Honored Contributor

My new Wegman's in VA opens tomorrow.  This one is a 2-story, 81,000 square foot store.  I am not ashamed to say, I'm so excited!