Contributor

Purchased the TSV and love it.  However, took it to work with my food, popped the cover off, but left it loosely on top as it was suggested in the presentation and microwaved it.  When I took it out, the lid sealed on it self and I cannot get it off. I do not usually microwave in the container, but tried it this time with terrible results.   It has cooled but no such luck in getting it unlocked.  Suggestions?

Honored Contributor

Turn the cover just a tad & make sure the lock tabs are all the way up. 

Apparently you did not flip up the lock tabs.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

sounds like pressure was created.  Not sure how to get it off, maybe soak it in water.  And I have seen that the host always says just flip it over when microwaving in it. 

Honored Contributor

I'd try freezing it and see if that helps. If that doesn't work, try dropping it in some very hot water.

Whenever I put mine in the microwave, I don't just loosen the lid because the silicon can still get a grip on it if it's just loose. On square or rectangular items, I pop the lid off and then turn it so that it's misaligned some. That creates a gap for steam to get out but not a lot of room for splashes. And because it is not aligned, the silicone seal can't grab the bottom and stick itself together. For a round item, remove the lid and pull the tabs straight out, and use the tabs to replace the lid so that it's off center and leaves a gap. If it falls off, then you can rinse it and put it on upside down like she shows in the presentations. I don't like to put it on upside down if I've been carrying it in my lunch bag because things that aren't clean (oranges, a drink, something pre-wrapped from a store) may have rested on top of the lid and I don't want the top of the lid near my food.

Respected Contributor

Try putting the tines of a fork between the top and bottom to pry them apart or wiggle the fork to break the seal

Super Contributor

I believe what should happen with these lids when heating with them when you take them off is turn it upside down so that the seal is not touching the container. I'm thinking that is how Chris said to do it during the presentations.

Honored Contributor

I would run it under hot water.  I know when I freeze things in them, they can sometimes be hard to open.  If I microwave in them, I take the lid off and use a paper towel instead.

Trusted Contributor

During demonstrating this item, it was advised to remove the top and turn it upside down on top of the container. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Penny wrote:

Purchased the TSV and love it.  However, took it to work with my food, popped the cover off, but left it loosely on top as it was suggested in the presentation and microwaved it.  When I took it out, the lid sealed on it self and I cannot get it off. I do not usually microwave in the container, but tried it this time with terrible results.   It has cooled but no such luck in getting it unlocked.  Suggestions?

I could have written this very same post two days ago! I, too, loosened the locks, pulled the top off to let it breathe, and mic'd it for three minutes. Couldn't get the top off. it was like the heat sucked it right back down. Tried to pry it off with a knife, then a spoon, then a screwdriver. Put it back in the refrigerator thinking cooling it would help. All that did was collapse the bottom into itself. Didn't make it possible to remove the top. So, the now misshapen LnL with my soup still in it went into the garbage. Lesson learned.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

Re: Lock and Lock

[ Edited ]

I guess that's the reason I've never even considered microwaving anything in my plastic L&L.  Those microwaves are powerful machines, and silicone isn't as heat-resistant as it's advertised to be, in my opinion.

I don't worry about washing L&L in the dishwasher, but I keep it away from the microwave.