Honored Contributor

Lock and Lock - Bread, Bacon, and Egg Containers

[ Edited ]

I recently received K46163, the three-piece items that were recently on TV. As I mentioned in the review I did under the product/item number, I was really looking forward to receiving this, as I liked the concept of having a specific container for these three items.

However, I was disappointed with the bread container. The inside measures 5" and the bread I always get is 5-1/2", which means I divide the bread up into three different places and put them in the container sideways. Not what I expected or wanted to do. I could do that with any number of L&L containers I already have.

The length of the bread container is long enough for probably any loaf of bread, but the width needs to be wider for those of us who purchase bread that is bigger. I heard Chris mention that they enlarged this piece, but she might have meant the length and not the width.

Where I purchase my bread, the 5-1/2" width is not unusual; in fact, there are several bread options at the store that are wider.

As to the egg and bacon container, they are perfect for my needs.

I am curious to know if anyone else has a problem with the width of the bread container. Thanks in advance for any feedback you might give. 

Bread container.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lock and Lock - Bread, Bacon, and Egg Containers

I have two of these sets and love them. I actually purchased them for the egg keeper. I wanted the bacon keeper as well and considered that the size of the bread keeper would be great for microvwave popcorn. (I have a wooden bread box -oversized). 

Chris mentioned that the new size of the bread keeper was based on the jumbo sandwich bread that had been requested. I do think she needs to have a bread keeper for the artisan bread or the Italian brea. Those wrappers just don't do it.   

Honored Contributor

@Fressa wrote:

Chris mentioned that the new size of the bread keeper was based on the jumbo sandwich bread that had been requested. I do think she needs to have a bread keeper for the artisan bread or the Italian brea. Those wrappers just don't do it.   

@Fressa Exactly! That is why my bread is wider.

I may just have to get out one of the huge L&L containers that came with another set I got last year. I don't know what it was originally intended for, but there is one piece that is 8-1/4" wide, 11-1/2" long, and 5-1/2" tall. It has that same type of "grill" at the bottom like the bacon container has, and also comes with a handle. 

I prefer the longer, narrower item like what I got in this latest purchase, but may just have to use this "boxier" container. It is great for taking a potato/fruit/macaroni/green salad to picnics or to friends for potlucks, but never thought about using it for my bread.

And you are right, the one meant for holding bread would be great for other uses.

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler  i was thinking of the ones i have from years ago. they were intended for flour, sugar and such. they are about 6 inchs square and 12 or 14 inches tall. says 4.2 qt. or 132 oz. on the bottom.  seems like a loaf of bread would fit pretty good in it.

Honored Contributor

I don't have this set, but I do have two egg keepers.  I am not a fan.  The eggs are always wet in the keeper.  Moisture always builds up in there.

I only use my keepers when we go camping to transport the eggs.  I remove the lid when I get there.  I don't know if others have this problem, but I suspect they do.  I wish the keeper had vents for the moisture to escape.

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler

I don't have those pieces but the egg container would be nice.

I vacuum seal the bacon. I use Debbie Meyer Green Bread Boxes for homemade breads, rolls, muffins etc.

They measure Approx. 13-1/4"L x 6-1/2"W x 5-1/4"H each. I just measured the inside of the bread box & it's 5 3/4" wide. It should work for the bread you buy.

I only had 2 of her bread boxes & found I needed a couple more during the Holiday's so I bought 2 more. They come in handy for baked goods. I can also use them in the refrigerator.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie Haven't had a problem with the moisture and the egg keeper. But I just got the set two days ago. Thanks for mentioning it and I will keep an eye out for that concern.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz Thanks! The 6-1/2" width should handle pretty well anything I could possible buy in the way of bread! ha!

Honored Contributor

Chris's containers are made for Wonder Bread rather than artisan brands like Dave's Killer Bread. I guess that's what she's used to.

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@Nightowlz Thanks! The 6-1/2" width should handle pretty well anything I could possible buy in the way of bread! ha!

@World Traveler

The 6 1/2" measurement is from outside edge to outside edge on the other side. The interior measurement is 5 3/4".