Valued Contributor

Hello , in reading the care booklet on page 18 under heat sources, it states when using a glass top stove not to slide the pan. Well, ok this is a very heavy pan and if it is hot it is not feasible to pick it straight up, can you slide this at all across a ceramic top stove? Also is it best to season the pan a bit, read some bad reviews on sticking. Thanks. 

Trusted Contributor

You need ro pick it up and nort slide it.  Sliding it can scratch the stove top and damage it.

There is no seasoning necessary.  The sticking issue is likely due to not allowing the pan to fully heat before adding food and/or not using a sufficient amount of oil (it does not take a lot, but it does require more than non-stick).

Honored Contributor

I agree!

I have this pan and a glass top stove.

Yes, pick it up!  I have no problems lifting it with oven mitts or pot holders.  Even while it is hot and full to the brim with food, I can lift it and I have little hands.  Is is feasible, absolutely!

You should never slide any pots or pans across a glass top anyways!  Esp. cast iron or enamel cast iron.

I never season it.  Do not need to .  Nothing sticks as long as I use the proper temps.

Enamel cast iron is my favorite to use.  Hope you enjoy yours.

Valued Contributor

I agree with what Respectlife just wrote. I use LC pots on my glass stove top without a problem.

Super Contributor

Respectlife, I agree with everything you said about the enameled cast iron. This particular Le Creuset everyday pan with grill pan lid is especially light compared to some I have used. Not the lid though. That is heavier than the pan! Nice items. Mine came with small defects in the interior cooking service, but I am keeping it. I cooked eggs in it first, no pre-seasoning. I guessed at the temp needed, pre-heated the pan, then cooked in real butter. No sticking. I guessed wrongly at the initial temp. I have a glass top range myself, and I started on heat level 3 on my biggest burner. After pre-heating for 3-5 minutes, I discovered that I definitely could have used level 2. Does anyone have recommended heat settings to share for cooking with enameled cast iron? I am not as familiar with that information as I would like to be.

Honored Contributor

One main thing is that you do NOT want/need to use high heat with enameled cast iron.

Honestly, I never go much above a 'medium' heat with mine.    Even a medium-high setting is really too high.   The great thing is that they conduct heat so well that you never need anywhere near high heat.  Furthermore, high heat will eventually do damage to the surface.

All of my LC pots look like brand new, inside and out, to this day.

Valued Contributor

If you think Le Crueset is heavy then don't even think of buying Staub.

Honored Contributor

Actually, they are pretty similar in weight.  I had a 5qt Staub and decided I wanted a 5qt Le Creuset instead.  When I bought that one I found it to be a little heavier than the Staub, plus I think the LC pots are finished a little bit better.

I sold the Staub to a nice lady who always wanted something like that but couldn't afford it.  For $20 she was happy and I also typed up, and laminated, a care and cleaning thing for her, so she was all set.

Honored Contributor

It's enamel coated, it doesn't season. As far as sliding, I can't think of any reason that the pan couldn't be picked up. It's not that big or heavy. As far as sticking, if you try and move food around and it feels stuck leave it alone. It's not done browning, when it is browned it will release. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Going to use mine for the first time tonight.  Doing some chicken on the grill lid side.  Wish me luck Smiley Happy

Deb