Esteemed Contributor

Re: Kitchenaid stand mixer help

On 1/12/2015 CamilleP said:

Thank you, everyone. I wanted to call Kitchenaid today, but literally never got a minute's peace in my lab to make a personal call. I will hope they answer my e-mail, it's easier to communicate that way, even if it results in a 12 hour delay. The problem isn't terrifically time critical, so a delay is okay if I just can't get a chance to phone. Tomorrow I have to take my dog to the vet school for her oncology appointment, to see if she can have chemo this week, so I may not get a chance to call tomorrow, either, since I don't want to tie up the phone if Molly's oncologist calls to talk to me. As much as I'd like to upgrade to a bowl lift mixer, my old tilt head still does the job just fine, and watching the video on how to re-grease the gears, it looks like my mixer will be as good as new afterwards, so no justifying the fancier model on this problem's account.

Camille & Eileen,

I'm really glad you found the YouTube site of assistance. It's so great when you come across something that helps you do the job yourself without having to spend the money on a service person and parts or, further, having to purchase a new mixer.

Best wishes for Molly as she fights cancer. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

Kitchenaid customer service e-mailed me back today, and told me that if I thought more than a quarter cup of oil had leaked out, then there probably was a need for professional repair, and they had a mailing label and shipping kit that they could send me to ship it back to them for repair, or I could use a local approved repair center, they gave me the name of a business in Portland, the only one in Oregon, I guess. I feel quite confident we can replace the grease ourselves, but I didn't want to hurt the CS rep's feelings, so I said I'd check into the local repair option. Thanks again for all the advice, everyone!

Honored Contributor

I would not use it until I had it checked over. They can replace the grease and it is not a ton of money - way cheaper than a new mixer. I had it done on my vintage one I inherited from my Mom.