Honored Contributor

Re: Kitchen Gadget Overload !! Do we need 'em?

I don't have space to store them, so for the most part I don't buy them.  But I cook only for myself so it's no great sacrifice. 

Unrelated to the kitchen -  why doesn't not having space keep me from owning dozens and dozens of tops?

Pretty obvious that lots of what we buy has little to do with need!

Respected Contributor

I don't have a lot of kitchen gadgets, but I do buy things that will be used often and make my life easier. Berry huller? No. Garlic mincer? Yes.

I think a lot of gadgets, not just kitchen, also make things much easier for people with medical or mobility issues. My mom has had rheumatoid arthritis since she was 30 and holding a knife can be difficult some days. Any tool that makes a job easier or faster for her is a plus in my book.

Respected Contributor

The older I get, the more I rely on "gadgets" which I consider to be "essentials". 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex Here you are!  The panini potatoes are a favorite in my home....delicious, nutritious, and easy!  I keep a bag of frozen shredded potatoes in the freezer for a fast meal.  

Put the panini on high

Place the frozen shredded potatoes covering the grill plate 

While the potatoes are cooking:

saute mushrooms, onions, and spinach (sometimes I add chopped tomatoes, be creative)

Remove the potatoes in a whole sheet from the grill

fold them over in the middle like an omelette

stuff your potato "omelette" with the mushroom mixture

My DH loves this easy sauce I make for him to serve with the potatoes:  Mixture of vegenaise and Trade Joe's BBQ/Sriracha sauce

I have seen similar recipes on You Tube for this ....I'll check and see if I can find one for you.  A visual will show you how easy this is to make.

take a look at Shredded Hash Brown Omelette Recipe  Plant Strong on You Tube

Enjoy your potatotini!

Honored Contributor

I think I'm probably pretty practical as to gadget type items.    As much trouble I have with my hands, I believe I should continue using them so I will do 99.9% of cutting with knives.   Sure, there's the occasional thing that goes into the food processor but that's not a gadget.  It's a small appliance that is more of a necessity item.

Probably the most 'gadgety' type of thing I have is that awesome little plastic thing for removing that gross white thing from an egg before using it in a recipe.

Oh, and one more gadget that is super necessary for me, especially now, is my OXO Jar Opener.  That thing is pure magic.  I don't even put it away or hang it up anymore.  I keep it on one of the counters all the time.    

Respected Contributor

I think the real point of the article about gadgets is that "inventors" of these little thingees have found "solutions" to tasks that aren't necessarily problems needing to be solved.

Those types of little gadgets can really clutter up a kitchen, some don't work as advertised, and I'll bet many of them get used once and then get forgotten.  (Think I've had a few of those!).

Love my jar opener and can opener.  Also my Wrap Master set for aluminum foil and plastic wrap.

I consider my salad spinner  nice to have, but when I think about handwashing its three parts, I often take a quicker route to washing lettuce and store  it with a paper towel in a Lock and Lock that has a little grate on the bottom for drainage.  I can throw the L&L in the dishwasher.

Meanwhile, I do a lot of chopping and grating, and my knives and cutting boards  are used much more than any chopper/dicer I've ever tried.  In fact, I don't even own any of those anymore.  Way too much trouble to clean.

Respected Contributor

Definitely guilty of buying a gadget I've seen on tv, and then only using it once or twice.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought a hand held, not motorized, spiralizer for $5 at Ross. I love it! I use it to make zucchini spirals which I make a salad with chopped chicken and Ranch dressing. Yummy. Best "cheap" kitchen purchase I have made.

Another great purchase, the Mark Charles hand pull chopper. Yes I can make egg salad but I just can't chop it as fine as this device does. I hate big egg chunks in my egg salad.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LisaMofSLC wrote:

I bought a hand held, not motorized, spiralizer for $5 at Ross. I love it! I use it to make zucchini spirals which I make a salad with chopped chicken and Ranch dressing. Yummy. Best "cheap" kitchen purchase I have made.

Another great purchase, the Mark Charles hand pull chopper. Yes I can make egg salad but I just can't chop it as fine as this device does. I hate big egg chunks in my egg salad.

I have a non-motorized food processor which I pull out a lot.   I make a lot of salsa in the manual food processor - I like the salsa to be chunky.   My last food processor died and I bought one that is tiny (maybe 1.5 cups) on sale for about $7 in an endcap at Target.