Valued Contributor

Re: I've had a pot roast in the Crock Pot all day and my animals..

House_cat, the turkey story sounds like something our dog would do! Lol
Occasional Contributor

We have a yellow Lab who LOVES food, period. We really have to be careful about indulging him. From the time we adopted him (he was a shelter dog we adopted at 18 mos. old), his favorite activity has been to sit or lie down in the kitchen and watch me cook. His favorite by far is when I make beef vegetable soup. I always get several large soup bones and the dog knows when they've cooled and most of the meat has been picked from them he is getting one as a a treat! As the bones are being cooked to start the base and I'm prepping veggies, his drool begins and I have puddles on the floor to wipe up! He gets a long strand on each side of his mouth. My husband thinks this is so cute (well, it is - to a degree). Yes, my dog appreciates my cooking! He also likes anything that crunches. Sugar snap peas and apple cores are favorites.
Valued Contributor

When my cat still had his big sister, a 90 lb Airdale, the two of them would sit next to each other just like the RCA dog (& cat) waiting for me to drop anything from the kitchen counter.. we never had that much meat, so veggies mostly, and olives were always fun! The Airedale has been gone for 15 yrs now, and the cat never bothered w/ human food much after Maggie's passing.

Only recently has the cat taken to being underfoot when anyone goes to the kitchen! Kramer is halfway through his 20th year now and gets around so slowly. But somehow now he appears whenever the refridgerator door opens! He has always been a skinny-minnie, so whatever he wants he gets now that he is well into the winter of his life. He has always been a "social" cat, more like a dog, and i think he just likes to stick around and be with us humans. Food and mealtimes are a great opportunity for that Smiley Happy Btw, he likes the BeechNut baby food (chicken & ham) but turns his nose up @ Gerber! Of course the BeechNut has been harder to come by in those flavors!

Happy Sharing, All*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )
Esteemed Contributor

Our basset loves broccoli & baby carrots and begs for them at the frig. If we ignore her she barks at us. She will eat frozen broccoli or cauliflower if we are out of fresh broccoli.

When I was a teenager I caught our dog licking the pizza. She didn't bite it, just licked the entire thing! It was delivered in a bad snow storm, she was the only one that got any.

Frequent Contributor

I've cooked for my dogs in the crock pot a number of times. Chicken breasts, baby carrots and sweet potatoes. They love it. I remember once I put my crock pot on at 11 o'clock at night. My husband awoke in the middle of the night and thought the house was on fire. He then realized the house wouldn't smell yummy if it was on fire and went back to bed.

Super Contributor

We have two redbone coonhounds and they love people food. We were out one day and I had three apples in a temptation bowl on my hutch, needless to say they were gone. Later as I took Gidget out to the bathroom she had those little apple stickers in her poo, and a guilty look on her face. All food is now in kitchen behind a locked baby gate.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Sherbear ~ LoL tell-tale apple stickers!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )
Honored Contributor

Our dogs would pace in front of the oven or the counter where the crockpot was as soon as they started to be able to smell something cooking. I used to scrape the plates into their food - usually that would entice them to gobble it up by the time I was at the end of doing the dishes so I could then wash the dog bowl.

Respected Contributor

No, they don't get people food unless they steal it. I found out why my one dog steals strawberries. She stole a bag of the biggest, plummiest strawberries. The kind you dip. The ones that are like a buck apiece. Took that bag to her lair and made a real mess and ate every one of them AND...stole the hulls back from the garbage when I threw them out.

Turns out, when she was a baby puppy, she lived on a farm, and the farm grew strawberries! So that scent is a fond memory (as is sweaty 20 year old guys, like my neighbor, because the farmer that raised her was a sweaty 20 year old guy.) I didn't know until I told the gal who gave her to me that she steals strawberries. (and anything else she can nab, especially homemade bread.)

I used to cook for her (turkey and rice) but she does well enough on a natural food we buy here.

Valued Contributor

Until I got my last cat our pets always ate people food. It never seemed to bother them. My remaining cat will not eat ANY people food with the exception of canned whip cream, don't try tricking her with Coolwhip. Just take out the can and squirt and she comes running. Other than that it's strictly kibble and a little Fancy Feast!