Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Does anyone know... is 160° enough to kill any bacteria that might be in the eggs? 

Yes

Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

that is hardly a Trifle

what did every one else say?

don't worry too much about it, unless they ask you to make a real one

@jackthebear

You're right about it being hardly a "trifle."

Everyone at the table went silent and my husband made a face at me.  (I had already been told that this lady is the big dudette around here; and, it seems, everyone let's her have her say, which is considered to be gospel.)

Esteemed Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

Sounds awesome, but where is the Grand Marnier?

@Mothertrucker

OMG!  I made a Grand Marnier souffle on the 25th for our anniversary and messed up pretty good.

So sorry!

It should have been Marsala.

Honored Contributor

No, I haven't blurted out anything like this.

Honored Contributor

I suspect the lady was just being polite, given the setting.

Respected Contributor

Re: I said what?

[ Edited ]

@tiny 2I cannot imagine that one would use the same amount of Grand Marnier as the quantity of Marsala wine..1 full CUP?! in the filling alone? 

But frankly, a Marsala makes sense since a traditional trifle IS made with sherry..and lots of it!

Respected Contributor

Yes, You are right Mothertrucker. Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

LOL I've been known to blurt on occasion. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

@tiny 2I cannot imagine that one would use the same amount of Grand Marnier as the quantity of Marsala wine..1 full CUP?! in the filling alone? 

But frankly, a Marsala makes sense since a traditional trifle IS made with sherry..and lots of it!

@Mothertrucker

That's right: no way one cup of Grand Marnier.  I made a pretty big error there.  The Raspberry Marsala Trifle is divine.

I use the following recipe with cake, because I don't care for ultra sweet Lady Fingers nor dense pound cake.

Trifle: Raspberry and Marsala

Serves 10

Cake:

1 – 18.5 oz pkg Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Butter Recipe Golden Cake Mix or similar

2/3 cup dry Marsala

Filling:

3-12 oz packages frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed, drained

3 Tbs plus ¾ cup sugar

9 large egg yolks

1 cup dry Marsala

1-1/2 cups chilled whipping cream

1 pint basket fresh raspberries

Preparation:

Cake: Butter & flour 9x13 baking pan.  Prepare cake according to pkg instructions substituting 2/3 cup Marsala for water.  Bake cake and cool completely.  Cut cake crosswise into thirds.  Cut cake lengthwise into 1-inch-wide slices.  Set aside.  (There will be leftover cake for snacks.)

Filling: Mix thawed frozen raspberries and 3 Tbs sugar in large bowl.  Set aside.  Using handheld mixer, beat egg yolks and remaining ¾ cup sugar in large metal bowl until well blended.  Beat in 1 cup dry Marsala.  Place bowl over saucepan of simmering water (do not let bottom of bowl touch water).  Beat until mixture triples in volume and registers 160 F on thermometer, about 6 minutes (really takes more than 6 minutes).  Remove bowl from over water.  Cool yolk mixture to room temperature, whisking occasionally.

Using electric mixer with clean beaters, beat ¾ cup cream in large bowl until almost stiff peaks form. Fold whipped cream into yolk mixture.

Arrange enough cake slices in 12 cup trifle dish to cover bottom. Spoon 1 cup of raspberry mixture over cake, allowing some to show at sides of bowl.  Pour 1-1/2 cups filling over; smooth top.  Arrange enough cake slices over filling to cover completely.  Spread 1 cup raspberry mixture over, allowing some to show at sides.  Pour 1-1/2 cups filling over.  Arrange enough cake slices over filling to cover completely.  Spread remaining raspberry mixture over.  Pour remaining filling over; smooth top.  Cover and refrigerate trifle at least 4 hours or overnight.

Using electric mixture, beat ¾ cup chilled shipping cream to stiff peaks in medium bowl. Spoon into pastry bag fitted with large star tip.  Pipe whipped cream decoratively over trifle.  Garnish trifle with raspberries.

Respected Contributor

Re: I said what?

[ Edited ]

@JAXS Mom wrote:

LOL I've been known to blurt on occasion. 

Ditto. I said at a funeral luncheon..."this cake is to die for"

Yep.