Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday my husband and I were invited to join a small lunch group of 5 neighbors who meet once a month at the same restaurant.  The menu had limited offerings, but I understood that, since the restaurant supported a non-profit.

There were 4 items on the dessert menu, all meant to draw in the "Downton Abbey" crowd, but not to my liking, so I ordered a chicken salad sandwich and no dessert.  Everyone else ordered dessert.

When the desserts arrived, 3 in the group had ordered the trifle.  The head, loudest and most obnoxious of the women present took a bite of her trifle and said exaggeratedly, "Oh, this is WONderful." Out of my mouth, "I can do better with my Raspberry Grand Marnier Trifle."  Ooops!

The reason I blurted this out, and it wasn't planned, was that their trifle was placed in a junior high school pudding dish, had square pieces of pound cake in it, vanilla pudding here and there, along with 1/4 tsp of strawberry jam in about 6 places and one tablespoon of whipped cream on top.

Just wondering if anyone else has blurted anything out like this.

Trusted Contributor

Guess who is going to have to make a special dessert, to cover the blurt?!!!!!    I only blurt, then, think.----------tedEbear

Honored Contributor

that is hardly a Trifle

what did every one else say?

don't worry too much about it, unless they ask you to make a real one

Respected Contributor

Well I can do better than that with my raspberry Chambord. Trifle!!!LOL

I can't believe they had trifle on the menu and you turned it down!!! (after all, you didn't know it wasn't going to be good!)

Respected Contributor

Please don't trifle with us & share your recipe!Woman LOL

BTW, what you described that was served at the restaurant really was "something of no value."

Honored Contributor

Who is the real loudest and most obnoxious one in the group?

Respected Contributor

Here is the one I have copied from sfnative.

Respected Contributor
sfnative

Raspberry and Marsala Trifle

This recipe is a follow-up to the trifle discussion of some two months ago or so. The wonderful trifle is attributed to "Bon Apetit," December 1995 and has been a family favorite ever since. Up-front comment: does not quality for "cooking in 10 minutes or less." Our family rating on a scale of 1 to 10: 9.5.

Serves 10

Cake: 1 18 1/2 oz pkg Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Butter Recipe Golden cake mix. It appears Duncan Hines no longer makes this mix, so am now using the best/richest available golden or yellow cake mix.

2/3 c dry Marsala

Filling

3 12 oz pkgs frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed, drained

3 Tbs plus 3/4 c cane sugar

9 large egg yolks

1 c dry Marsala

1-1/2 c chilled heavy whipping cream

1-1/2 pint basket fresh raspberries

Preparation

For Cake

Butter and flour 13x9x2" baking pan (not dish). Prepare cake according to pkg instructions, substituting 2/3 c Marsala for water. Bake cake and cool completely. Cut cake crosswise into thirds. Cut cake lengthwise into 1" wide slices. Set aside.

For Filling

Mix thawed frozen raspberries and 3 Tbs sugar in large bowl. Set aside. Using handheld mixer, beat egg yokes and remaining 3/4 c sugar in large metal bowl until well blended and color changes to lighter yellow. Slowly beat in 1 c dry Marsala, then increase speed.

Place bowl over saucepan of simmering water (do not let bottom of bowl touch water). Beat until mixture triples in volume and registers 160 degrees F on thermometer, about 6 min. (Note: 50% of the time I can achieve triple volume. All other times only double volume. We still enjoy the end result!) Remove bowl from over water. Cool yolk mixture to room temperature, whisking occasionally.

Using electric mixer with clean dry beaters, beat 3/4 c heaving whipping cream in lg chilled bowl until stiff peaks form. fold whipped cream into yolk mixture.

Bring your trifle bowl front and center to counter. Arrange enough cake slices in 12 c trifle dish to cover bottom. Spoon 1 c raspberry mixture over cake, allowing some to show at the sides of bowl. Pour 1-1/2 c filling over; smooth top. Arrange enough cake slices over filling to cover completely. Spread 1 c raspberry mixture over, allowing some to show at the sides. Pour 1-1/2 c filling over. Arrange enough cake slices over filling to cover completely. Spread remaining raspberry mixture over. Pour remaining filling over; smooth top. Cover and refrigerate trifle at least 4 hour or overnight (overnight is best).

Using electric mixer, beat 3/4 c chilled heavy whipping cream to stiff peaks in medium chilled bowl. Spoon into pastry bag fitted with large star tip. Pipe whipped cream decoratively over trifle. Garnish with fresh raspberries.

Enjoy!

Respected Contributor

Sounds awesome, but where is the Grand Marnier?

Respected Contributor

Maybe she changes the liqueur or wine from time to time. You should be able to do it as long as it complements the berries.

Honored Contributor

Does anyone know... is 160° enough to kill any bacteria that might be in the eggs? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment