Honored Contributor

Re: I need some suggestions for Christmas Dinner ...

We do a Christmas Brunch in our family and have a dinner on Christmas Eve.  This year we are having salmon, glazed butternut squash, risotto and a green salad for Christmas Eve.  Two kinds of quiche, candied bacon, croissants, fresh fruit salad for Christmas Brunch. 

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

was planning on being away at Christmas but plans changed to February when both my kids will be back home to celebrate.

So, I got asked to do Christmas dinner. (Our family tradition is lasagna, ham, etc and my cousin does the 7 fishes Christmas Eve). I'm at a loss what to serve because I'd like to keep simple as   I'm having a open house Sunday after Christmas so really don't want to serve same things. (Menu: ham, pasta, various sides, appetizers, desserts for 35 people)

I would do turkey (my fav!) but think back to back (I hosted TGiving too). I'm thinking a nice pot roast with potatoes, veg, salad. Of course, dessert.  

Does that sound good enough? I've invited 2 couples who are much older and they are not able to prepare on their own so I invited them to join us.

suggestions welcomed. Easy please! I'll need to be perky to prepare for the open house!

The thought of a beautiful pot roast makes my mouth water . . . I think it's a wonderful idea @homedecor1 and I'm sure everyone will love it!

Honored Contributor

We always have standing rib roast (prime rib) on Christmas. Cooked on the rotisserie. Fabulous. Baked potatoes, my DH's green beans made in a german style with bacon and vinegar they are very good.Yeast rolls. usually I make a jello salad - something cool to contrast with all the hot food. Strawberry shortcake for dessert since we can get strawberries in winter in Fl. Iced tea. I am making myself hungry.

Honored Contributor

@151949

sounds delicious since I think you're in Sarasota area can we be RUDE and invite ourselves!!! Sounds delicious!

Honored Contributor

thank you everyone for great suggestions and your meals sound delicious!!!

Decision made -- simple pot roast with sides. Easy cooking, easy serve and cleanup!!!

Merry Christmas everyone enjoy your families/friends and

delicious dinner! Hope 🎅🏻 is good to all of you!!!

Homedecor!

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

We always have standing rib roast (prime rib) on Christmas. Cooked on the rotisserie. Fabulous. Baked potatoes, my DH's green beans made in a german style with bacon and vinegar they are very good.Yeast rolls. usually I make a jello salad - something cool to contrast with all the hot food. Strawberry shortcake for dessert since we can get strawberries in winter in Fl. Iced tea. I am making myself hungry.

@151949 just wanted to say thanks for the german green bean mention.  I looked up the recipe and I am definitely going to try them . . . thank you!

Super Contributor

I had never made a prime rib roast until last year.  I went through multiple cookbooks for recipes.  The simplest, quickest, and a very delicious recipe was with my ninja multi-cooker.  It was a breeze!  Clean-up is simple.  It was moist and flavorful.  We now have a new tradition. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

potluck?

Valued Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@IamMrsG

Thats sound great can you fit 8 more? I'll bring a cheesecake with sponge and lemon curd filling freshly made by me or whatever dessert you like. Lol!

That's my sisters NewYears Eve dinner she's a pro at cooking it and all kinds of meats.

i eat very little meat (steak maybe 1-2 times a year)I'm a chicken fish turkey lover! Cooking meats scare me even using a crock pot they always taste dry! That's why I was thinking pot roast in Dutch oven cast iron. I'm a pro at that meal.

I hope your dinner went well!  I wanted to thank you, I took your lead and made pot roast for Christmas and it was wonderful!!  Talk about comfort food; good plain home cooking --- and I didn't have a whole bunch of leftover side dishes to deal with.  Plenty to eat but not a lot of leftovers which is the last thing I need during these couple weeks of food overload!

Thanks again for the great idea and have a wonderful holiday season with the rest of your parties.