Respected Contributor

Keurig/Green Mountain is being bought by an investor group

This news has sent the share price of Green Mountain stock up almost 40 points as of right now.

Honored Contributor

Re: Keurig/Green Mountain is being bought by an investor group

I wonder if they'll undo the decision to only allow their own brand of K Cups to be used in their machines?

Honored Contributor

I just read several articles stating how poorly sales of Keurigs are doing these days, mainly due to the negative environmental impact their k-cups are causing. Even the k-cups that are supposedly recycleable are not 100% recycleable- just parially. I know Green Mountain is working on a 100% recycleable k-cup but for now, none are, despite some (misleading) claims.

Respected Contributor

I wonder when the beer maker is coming out?  I saw it on the news, but haven't seen it in the stores.  

Respected Contributor

They came out with a my-K-cup for the 2.0 months ago so you can use your own coffee.  There is also a"freedom clip" available from Amazon. San Francisco Bay Coffee included one free in the box of cups I purchased from them.  Their cups are 90% biodegradable.

Frequent Contributor

Also guessing that cost also comes into play.  Keurigs, although convenient and versatile, aren't cheap - even the mini size.  Take that in additional to some machines being problematic and there you go.

Until recently, I did not know that Mr. Coffee and other brands also made single-serve coffee makers - and at a comparable cost.  The Mr. Coffee also has the "keurig" symbol on it.  Interesting.

Honored Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

They came out with a my-K-cup for the 2.0 months ago so you can use your own coffee.  There is also a"freedom clip" available from Amazon. San Francisco Bay Coffee included one free in the box of cups I purchased from them.  Their cups are 90% biodegradable.

They've had the my K-cup more than 2 months ago- was that a misprint on your part?  I had one when I had a Keurig and that was more like 2+ years ago. The fact is though, most people use the "convenient" k-cups instead and it is making a huge impact at the landfills. That is fact.

Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

They've had the my K-cup more than 2 months ago- was that a misprint on your part?  I had one when I had a Keurig and that was more like 2+ years ago. The fact is though, most people use the "convenient" k-cups instead and it is making a huge impact at the landfills. That is fact.

No, not a mistake on my part.  The original my K-cup didn't work in the Keurig 2.0. People who DID use the my k-cup were very upset that they didn't have the option with the new machine and wouldn't upgrade.   They've now introduced a my K-cup for the 2.0.  As I also posted, San Francisco Bay Coffee makes a wonderful biodegradable cup for the Keurig.

Valued Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

I just read several articles stating how poorly sales of Keurigs are doing these days, mainly due to the negative environmental impact their k-cups are causing. Even the k-cups that are supposedly recycleable are not 100% recycleable- just parially. I know Green Mountain is working on a 100% recycleable k-cup but for now, none are, despite some (misleading) claims.

I think also the plain fact that Keurigs make terrible coffee! There is absolutely no way to get a "good" cup of coffee out of a Keurig - period! (and exclamation point). The gimmick has finally worn off and now people realize that maybe making a pot of coffee that tastes good is better than getting one cup of terrible coffee after all.

Honored Contributor

In addition, the investment company purchasing Keurig/Green Mountain has a majority stake in Coty (which owns Philosophy, OPI nail brand, and lots of others), Peet's Coffee, Caribou, Jimmy Choo, etc.  We can probably trace all brands in use today back to just 5 owners (an over-assumption of course, but wow!).