Valued Contributor

Re: I need some suggestions for Christmas Dinner ...

@homedecor1 wrote:

@IamMrsG

Thats sound great can you fit 8 more? I'll bring a cheesecake with sponge and lemon curd filling freshly made by me or whatever dessert you like. Lol!

That's my sisters NewYears Eve dinner she's a pro at cooking it and all kinds of meats.

i eat very little meat (steak maybe 1-2 times a year)I'm a chicken fish turkey lover! Cooking meats scare me even using a crock pot they always taste dry! That's why I was thinking pot roast in Dutch oven cast iron. I'm a pro at that meal.

They sell pork loins with different marinate on them and also beef roasts with mirinates that when cooked in the crock on high for 8 hours, you will never need a knife.  Also, if you have never tried the pre-cooked Jack Daniels ribs, chops etc they are fabulous.  I like to look like I can cook so I do put mine in a glass dish and cook in the oven for about an hour on a low temp.  So many good things to cook now with great flavors one does not have to be a good cook for others to think I am a good cook.  I can't boil an egg.  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Since you are having so many people over for dinner, I don't think it's overkill to serve turkey for Thanksgiving and repeat it for the Christmas dinner.  This time of year is really the only time those who love turkey get it fresh roasted. For most of the year they make do with cold cuts from the deli counter.  For those who don't want turkey a beef or pork roast should suffice as a meat serving.  With 35 people expected you're going to need a lot of food.  

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

was planning on being away at Christmas but plans changed to February when both my kids will be back home to celebrate.

So, I got asked to do Christmas dinner. (Our family tradition is lasagna, ham, etc and my cousin does the 7 fishes Christmas Eve). I'm at a loss what to serve because I'd like to keep simple as   I'm having a open house Sunday after Christmas so really don't want to serve same things. (Menu: ham, pasta, various sides, appetizers, desserts for 35 people)

I would do turkey (my fav!) but think back to back (I hosted TGiving too). I'm thinking a nice pot roast with potatoes, veg, salad. Of course, dessert.  

Does that sound good enough? I've invited 2 couples who are much older and they are not able to prepare on their own so I invited them to join us.

suggestions welcomed. Easy please! I'll need to be perky to prepare for the open house!

I think your plan for pot roast, potatoes, veg, salad and dessert sounds great. It's what I am planning for the 20th of Dec., for about 14 people. It is an easy meal, doesn't require you to spend all day in the kitchen and is very tasty. Enjoy the day.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Spinach stuffed manicotti......it's red and green!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I'm going with our usual stuffed flank steak, hassleback spuds, seafood cioppino and a few sides. Have learned not to go crazy with alot of stuff as it doesn't get eaten and costs way too much $. Will have a simple dessert as well. Easy peasy!

Esteemed Contributor

I usually make lasange and another main dish.  This year I'm thinking about homemade ravioli. I think you should make something Italian because you can prep your sauce ahead of time and that's always a good thing. I like stuffed shells because it is easier than lasagne and you can stll feed a crowd.  A huge tossed salad and bread and you're set. You can add in extra sides if you like but it takes the pressure off from worrying about oven time and number of burners.  After all these years, I still get caught with running short of one or the other and it's just stressful. Stuffed chicken breast is also a treat.  

Honored Contributor

I would suggest that since plans have changed rather late in the game, and you are having this so close to a really big event, it should be simple, whatever it is. 

Don't feel obligated to 'do it up big' just because you are doing it. I know it is 'the big day' and all, but really it is about the people and the time spent, so don't knock yourself out at the last minute here.

And if it is only a few folks coming, and they are not in the position to prepare their own meal, I'm sure just being included and have that time with you on the holiday will be so special for them. 

Our Christmas meal was often a roast, when I was a kid. So it sounds really comforting and traditional to me. It can be a one pot type of meal, with little fuss, but delicious and satisfying as well.

Especially if the folks at Christmas dinner will be at your open house later in the weekend, you won't want to or need to make a fuss. Setting a really nice table I think can often make even the simplest meal seem like so much more, so fancy up the table and keep the work in the kitchen simple.

Enjoy all your celebrations!

Super Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

was planning on being away at Christmas but plans changed to February when both my kids will be back home to celebrate.

So, I got asked to do Christmas dinner. (Our family tradition is lasagna, ham, etc and my cousin does the 7 fishes Christmas Eve). I'm at a loss what to serve because I'd like to keep simple as   I'm having a open house Sunday after Christmas so really don't want to serve same things. (Menu: ham, pasta, various sides, appetizers, desserts for 35 people)

I would do turkey (my fav!) but think back to back (I hosted TGiving too). I'm thinking a nice pot roast with potatoes, veg, salad. Of course, dessert.  

Does that sound good enough? I've invited 2 couples who are much older and they are not able to prepare on their own so I invited them to join us.

suggestions welcomed. Easy please! I'll need to be perky to prepare for the open house!

Hi homedecor1,

What about a nice hearty soup, stew, chili or casserole, meat and veggies in one dish, instead of separate.  All could be prepped and/or made the day before, allowing you time to enjoy the company and festivities.  Add some nice rolls, bread, cornbread or muffins and maybe some special flavored butters.  Leftovers could be shared or saved for you to enjoy the next day.  Whatever you decide, have a wonderful holiday.

tkins

Honored Contributor

I think I wrote my post 1/2 asleep!

Sorry let me clarify:

For Christmas Day there is only 8 of us. Looking to do something easy. I've invited 2 older couples since they were alone, not sure what they eat. 

12/27 I'm having a open house (with buffet dinner) for 35. Actually, that menu and date has been on calendar for awhile. I'm a good planner for these types of parties.

Thank you for all your great suggestions. I've decided a good roast because it's easy, less mess and 5 guests are men who like meat dishes!!!

Honored Contributor

I think your menu sounds wonderful.  From one Italian household to another, we like to do lots of finger food to fill everyone up plus it looks nice on a plate.  Some quick and easy things we supplement our big meals with are stromboli and cream cheese and ham wraps.  Quick, easy, and you stay perky.  

For our stromboli, we literally just get one of the premade pizza dough cannisters, oil it, throw pre-sliced provolone and pepperoni (obviously you can do whatever you want) bake it and you have a bunch of stuffed bread for everyone that is usually quite a crowd pleaser.

Cream cheese and ham wraps you literally take pre-sliced ham from the deli, spread some cream cheese on it and roll it and stick it with a tooth pick.  You can grab several kind of meats if you want variety but people seem to love them too.  

Or we have even been known to make little Italian deli sandwiches which are great to snack on if this is an all day event and you need to prep them before the big meal.

Lastly, you can do homemade meatballs as a side to the lasagna.  Again, quick and easy and you can do sandwiches with those as well.