Trusted Contributor

Re: How often do you eat a green vegetable?

[ Edited ]

Every day. We eat a lot of fresh broccoli, sugar peas, spinach and kale, and especially asparagus at this time of the year. Lots of green beans from our garden in the summer; fresh green beans are water. We grow a variety of lettuces and greens for salads.

We don't make smoothies; we eat our vegetables.

Honored Contributor

My niece is totally unable to get her 7 year old to eat any vegetable. Even as an infant he spit them out when she fed him baby food.Her pediatricians an told her not to sweat it, just give him a vitamin daily. He is growing like a weed. Healthy. 

I have never heard there is anything wrong with eating frozen vegetables. They are probably healthier than eating things in the winter that have travelled here from South America somewhere and are already weeks old by the time they get to the store.

Valued Contributor

My refrigerator vegetable drawer is filled with greens. I'm like you @ECBG, as I eat a salad every day.  To get my husband to join me,  I use the greens as a base and then sprinkle with his favorite fruits, berries, nuts, and cheeses. (He has never cared for salad dressing.)  We usually add avocados as both of us love them. My favorite cooked greens are spinach and baby kale.  Tonight, we tried a recipe from Alberti's Q blog, "Basil pesto with shrimp and arugula".  We all liked it, including my 87 year old "meat and potatoes" father. 

As for green vegetables, we eat them all.  We pick up what looks good at the market. I think there is something green on our plates almost every lunch and dinner. 

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

My niece is totally unable to get her 7 year old to eat any vegetable. Even as an infant he spit them out when she fed him baby food.Her pediatricians an told her not to sweat it, just give him a vitamin daily. He is growing like a weed. Healthy. 

I have never heard there is anything wrong with eating frozen vegetables. They are probably healthier than eating things in the winter that have travelled here from South America somewhere and are already weeks old by the time they get to the store.

@151949***Frozen is as nutritionally sound as fresh, although there may be a texture/flavor difference.  I used to tell my students, that "when you can it you kill it" (nutritionally because of the over processing and salt , addatives).

Respected Contributor

At least twice daily.

Love green veggies.

Honored Contributor

I could do better but I don't like leafy green vegetgables, I'm never going to like leafy green vegetables and I won't eat them.  Sure, they are healthy but not if you just push them around your plate.  I do eat broccoli several times a week and I eat an assortment of vegetables.  Today, nutritionists tell us to eat an assortment of colorful veggies to get the nutrients we need.  So, I bags of frozen veggies and steam or roast them.  Fresh is best but fresh veggies begin losing nutrients the minute they are picked.  By the time they make to our kitchens, they have lost 50% of their nutirents.  Frozen veggies are blanched and go through a flash freeze process withing an hour after they are picked, so they are full of nutrients.  I'm not talking about the kind with sauce etc.....I mean just the bags of fronze broccoli, cauliflower etc etc.  There was a time, when I only ate peas, corn and carrots.  I've come a long way since then.   They say we should have  a minimum of 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day and  I exceed that most days.  There's so much more to good nutrition than just green vegetables.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@151949***Frozen is as nutritionally sound as fresh, although there may be a texture/flavor difference.  I used to tell my students, that "when you can it you kill it" (nutritionally because of the over processing and salt , addatives).

That might have been true back in the day but today you can buy bags of flash frozen veggies that don't have any salt or anything else added to them.  It's just the veggies and when cooked, no one can tell they were frozen. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@151949 wrote:

That might have been true back in the day but today you can buy bags of flash frozen veggies that don't have any salt or anything else added to them.  It's just the veggies and when cooked, no one can tell they were frozen. 

@chrystaltree***Thank you.  You can sometimes have a texture or flavor difference with fruit because the cells rupture in freezing.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We usually have two different green veggies per day along with two other colors of veggie - also two servings of berries. I hope it helps, because otherwise our lifestyle is pretty unhealthy :-)

Esteemed Contributor

I have heard of all kinds of techniques to get children to eat their veggies. One mom put frozen mixed veggies on her child's plate and called it "frozen treats!" I found my technique early on, even before Paula Dean said it - "Butter and Salt." Our baby sitter called Brussels sprouts "GI Joe bombs" to get our youngest to eat them. Lately, our daughter has found that limiting processed sugar in her boys' diets help them to crave the natural sugars in veggies and fruit.