Esteemed Contributor

Is Vitamix worth it for just two people? I'm thinking about getting one for a gift and Costco has them $60.00 off. We aren't gourmet cooks but like smoothies and making pancake batter. Not interested in the soup feature. I can heat that in a microwave.

Super Contributor

I have had a Vitamix for several years (having lusted after one for years).  I made drinks with it at first, but not so much now.  I have a large garden and what I use it most for is in making tomato sauce/juice.  In absolute seconds it makes anything completely smooth.  I have never made heated soup in mine, and only made ice cream a couple of times.  It is wonderful for turning cooked vegetables into babyfood and I can make a year's worth of pumpkin puree in a couple of minutes.  I would buy another one if mine quit working.  My DD has requested I leave mine for her in my will!

Respected Contributor

I have had mine for at least 7 years and expect it to last many more. I use it mainly for smoothies. I can add whatever I want and it comes out so smooth. There are just two of us but I am the one who mainly uses it. I've never regretted buying it. 

Honored Contributor

I've had mine for 4 years or so. I use it for morning protein smoothies, soup, custard sauce for berries, juices (celery mixes w/o any strings)...lts of things.

In the summer I make ice cream with frozen fruit and frozen margarita's..yum!

Honored Contributor

Yes it's worth it, if you want or need a heavy duty blender. It's over kill for pancake batter but it's great for sauces using dried chiles or making making green smoothies or ice cream with frozen fruit. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Re: Vitamix-worth to it?

[ Edited ]

I absolutely love ours and use it a lot.  We make smoothies the most, but I love to roast vegetables in the oven (toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper) and throw them in the Vitamix with a little bit of chicken broth for a really good soup.  We've also made ice cream.  It's easy to clean too.  I run some hot tap water in it with a few drops of dish washing liquid and run it.  I use the sink sprayer to clean out all the soapy water.  Make sure not to use much soap at all, it REALLY foams up when you run the machine.  Enjoy if you decide to get one, it's a great machine!

Respected Contributor

@IlliniGirl88  Thank you for the soup idea with roasted vegetables. I'm going to try that. 

Honored Contributor

I have had mine for several years and seldom use it.  I make peanut butter with it.  I do not like the consistency of the soup.  I make ice cream in my ice cream maker.  If you really love smoothies it would probably be a good deal.  

Trusted Contributor

I have one and use it all the time.  Purchase one last year as a wedding gift for my grandson and bride.  They're both into smoothies and healthy foods and I'm hoping that they will use it in the future for baby food!!!!

Honored Contributor

The two of us use it all the time for smoothies, salad dressing, pureeing things like soups and sauces, making "ice cream" with fruit and yogurt, and a zillion other things.  We use it several times a week.  It is SOOOOO easy to clean up!

One idea about soup:  I take veggies and "cook" them in a big glass measuring up for a few minutes in the microwave, THEN I put them in the vitamix and whiz up.  The texture and taste is better this way I think and it is NO trouble.  I put a little broth or water in the bottom to sort of steam/cook them in the microwave.