Honored Contributor

How Is Your Diet Different Now?

I was thinking how our basic diet is different now in many ways from growing up years or even 20 years ago.  What has slowly changed or modified over the years at your house?  How much has changed surprised me. 

We eat far less meat; many more dried beans, lentils, and black beans; almost no pasta; more soups; almost no white potatoes but more sweet potatoes; fewer green beans and corn and more broccoli, cabbage, eggplant, brussels sprouts, carrots and cauliflower--often roasted.  More bran cereal and whole wheat bread.

We also eat more chicken breasts, pork tenderloin, and lots more salmon and other fish.  We do a lot of that and beef once or twice a week.  And the pressure cooker, rice cooker and various whole grains and brown rice to use in soups and salads are important. Yogurt instead of mayo.  Olive oil, or most often lemon and/or lime juice only on salads and in place of a lot of the salt and oil in many dishes.

Salads are not iceberg lettuce, although we eat that occasionally, but more romaine, leaf and spinach.  More greens and more fruit.  And everything organic we can get.

Honored Contributor

Re: How Is Your Diet Different Now?

[ Edited ]

Personally I eat far less processed foods than I used to.  When I was younger I never really gave much thought to food & health.  I took it for granted.  I only watched what I ate to lose a few pounds occasionally.

Today I try to eat mostly whole foods.  I eat far more vegetables than I did in the past and I also buy a lot of organic foods. 

I check to make sure my meats are grass fed, fish is wild caught and eggs are free range.  I actually buy all of my eggs at a local farm where you can see the chickens roaming freely out in the field.

It's a treat to have something like cake and I only have it occasionally.  I did get a chocolate fudge cake for us to enjoy for tomorrow's dessert.

ETA:  It's been weeks since I have had pasta, bread or anything with white flour (except for the occasional treat)

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I totally eat low carb. I've always eaten a lot of meat, but I've completely cut out sugar, bread, pasta, fruit, etc. I'm healthier than I've ever been. 

Honored Contributor

Due to my food allergies, I eat what my body will tolerate, period.  I don't get hung up on what is "healthy", because my body doesn't care about that.  My body knows what it likes, and I know the level of suffering I will endure if I stray from what works.   I do me regardless of what is suggested.  

Esteemed Contributor

The biggest change for me is keeping a frozen pizza or two on hand!

Grew up cooking from scratch and learned to shop by relating prices to the cost of bread, milk and eggs so it made no sense to buy processed food, especially the ones in boxes, when I can make two or three times as much for about the same amount of money.

I never had a McDonald's burger until I was 15 and thought it was terrible, nothing like what I could make at home.  Now I'll have a fast food burger a couple of times a year and while no longer terrible they never get past the "well it's food and I'm hungry" stage.

I still mostly cook from scratch but after 40+ years of living in SoFl and preparing for hurricanes there are some processed food canned goods in the pantry just in case.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

Same old stuff here.  Never liked processed food and a while ago I cut out salt and any sweeteners too.  Guess it might be boring to some, but lots of veggies and fruit along with meat.  Do have a weakness for brown rice 🥰

Honored Contributor

It's certainly different from when I was a child in the '50s and '60s.  Ate a lot more meat then.  I look back on jelly donuts, milk shakes, etc. with a lot of affection. Wouldn't touch either now.  Otherwise, no major changes--do eat more pasta and fish then I did 20/30 years ago.

Esteemed Contributor

I have been pescatarian for some time now, and my diet consists of mainly seafood, fresh fruits and vegetables; so lots of salads, rice, and A LOT of lentils; red being my favorite, and beans. I seldom eat highly processed foods, but indulge myself sometimes.❤

If I eat baked goods, I like them to be from scratch, but have a few guilty pleasures from a local fresh made daily bakery. I also eat Caramel Almond Sea Salt Kind Bars, and various Quaker Rice Cakes daily as snacks. I used to love dairy milk, but only drink vanilla soy milk now.🥰

~~~All we need is LOVE💖  

Respected Contributor

I would say my diet is definitely different now.  Now I eat more fruits & vegetables & am more mindful of what I eat.  I do still eat my "favorite foods" but in smaller portions.  When I was younger, I literally could eat what I want & as much as I want without gaining weight.  Nowadays I still enjoy a variety of foods but limit how much I eat.

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Very mature, serious. Not me, your diet.