Honored Contributor

Re: How Is Your Diet Different Now?

@cheriere wrote:

Like a few other posters said, I also have to eat what my digestive system will tolerate.  The main thing that's changed though is that I never drink carbonated beverages of any kind anymore.  When I stopped those, it made a huge difference.

@cheriere 

What happened when you drank them?  Flatulence? 

Honored Contributor

I eat a lot of brown rice and sweet potatoes, never ate them growing up.

Also, eat salmon which I never had as a child.

I like greens but can have only a few due to medication.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@cheriere wrote:

Like a few other posters said, I also have to eat what my digestive system will tolerate.  The main thing that's changed though is that I never drink carbonated beverages of any kind anymore.  When I stopped those, it made a huge difference.

@cheriere 

What happened when you drank them?  Flatulence? 

Not just that lol.   I have a condition where it builds up and causes massive swelling to the point where I've been hospitalized at least three times.  One of the main symptoms it causes is called an ileus.  Extremely painful. So, I try to avoid all things especially known for doing this.  There have been times I was hospitalized after giving up pop.  So, other things can trigger this too.

Heck, when in the hospital, the nurses will actually come to my room every few hours and measure across my stomach to see if it's going down or not.  I look like I'm pregnant with twins it gets so crazy.  I'm usually there for at least a week too.

Respected Contributor

@cheriere  I can't drink carbonated beverages either, but I don't miss them.  I drink unsweet Ice tea.  Also, can't eat fried food or spicy food.

and like @RedTop I eat what I can tolerate.

I do eat pasta and I consider Total Cereal my vitamin pill.  Actually I know Vitamin pillls are good for you but after about two weeks of them, I have terrible indigestion, so I eat Total and hope that helps with vitamins.

I am a vegetable eater and don't really care for meat.  I do eat chicken and beef roast, turkey.  DH buys the leanest ground beef to make anything that needs ground beef and always buys the leanest of everything.

What has changed is that I used to eat everything and alot of it as I was always thin and very active.  Now I just eat what I can tolerate - not fun.

Digestive issues run in my family, from both parents side.  

Esteemed Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

@cheriere  I can't drink carbonated beverages either, but I don't miss them.  I drink unsweet Ice tea.  Also, can't eat fried food or spicy food.

and like @RedTop I eat what I can tolerate.

I do eat pasta and I consider Total Cereal my vitamin pill.  Actually I know Vitamin pillls are good for you but after about two weeks of them, I have terrible indigestion, so I eat Total and hope that helps with vitamins.

I am a vegetable eater and don't really care for meat.  I do eat chicken and beef roast, turkey.  DH buys the leanest ground beef to make anything that needs ground beef and always buys the leanest of everything.

What has changed is that I used to eat everything and alot of it as I was always thin and very active.  Now I just eat what I can tolerate - not fun.

Digestive issues run in my family, from both parents side.  

It sounds like you and I eat very much the same.  I don't eat a lot of meat either and most of the time vitamins destroy my stomach.  My dr has been giving me potassium in a very fine powder form I can shake in with just a little tea or water.  I wish I could find more vitamins like this.💝🌸

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to be a junk food junkie. Years ago and growing up we just ate with no thought really at all.

I do miss those days of mindless eating bliss.

If it looked good and I liked it, I ate it and I liked sweets and simple carbs a lot.  I've never had to watch what I ate for weight because luckily I must have a high metabolism but I was an unhealthy skinny. 

Now, that I'm older and know better I watch what I eat and try to make healthier choices but I'm no zealot either. I still treat myself from time to time.

Now my diet is as follows (for the most part):

*various vitamins and supplements

*Limited to no processed or ultra processed foods

*Limited simple carbs

*limited to no added sugar

*Whole organic foods when possible (veg,fruits,nuts,etc)

*More protein, on this I just discovered extra lean ground beef (4% fat) it has a great protein profile/nutrients and can be part of a heart healthy diet ( according to the American Heart Ass). I like it because I prefer to eat whole sources of protein better but will have a whey protein shake if needed to try and reach my goals of at least 100g/day.

Sounds like a lot of bother and work but once I started eating this way I felt and feel so much better than I used to and I know I'm healthier.Woman Happy

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant

"Once you have had a wonderful Dog, a life without one, is a life diminished"-Dean Koontz
Respected Contributor

@cheriere   Maybe you can eat a banana every day or so for potassium.  I don't really like them but I try to eat part of one several times a week with my cereal or a graham cracker.  DH eats a banana or 2 everyday (he loves them) so we always have them around.

Esteemed Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

@cheriere   Maybe you can eat a banana every day or so for potassium.  I don't really like them but I try to eat part of one several times a week with my cereal or a graham cracker.  DH eats a banana or 2 everyday (he loves them) so we always have them around.

Thanks for the suggestion.🌸. Luckily, since the potassium is in powder form it doesn't bother me at all.  I'm on a rather large dose per day anyways, 20mEq four times a day.  However, the magnesium nearly kills me.  I am going to have to find an alternative form besides these pills.  They make me so nauseous I have to take a phenegran every time.💝

Respected Contributor

Lord have mercy ! I grew up on fried everything, Barbeque, ice cream, cake, mashed potatoes and don't forget the gravy !  Spagetti and meatballs etc, etc. Diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes sometime around my  early 40's but kept eating whatever and taking my diabetes meds. It wasn't until after my knee surgery in 2019 that I woke up and changed my diet. Now I only eat baked fish ( mainly Salmon) salads with Romaine lettuce and tomatoes, whole grain  toast, turkey sausage, certain fruits ( no grapes or bananas) kale, squash,zuchinni, red peppers, mushrooms. Walnuts and occasional low carb ice cream. I like lemon flavored sparkling ice water, decaf coffee. I have a very strict diet, no longer taking diabetes meds or blood pressure meds.  

Honored Contributor

I still eat the same but now I hardly cook anymore☹️

I like salads, tuna fish or egg salad on rye, eggs.  Dinner has become a real challenge being alone so now I eat a late lunch & something lite for dinner.

My son & his wife visited this week.  He said "what you didn't make us your famous lasagna and meatballs?"  Sorry no never thought about it.

I miss cooking it's one of my favorite things to do besides baking.

@Sooner