Super Contributor

Re: How Does Everyone Prepare Salmon?

Harpa - posted this recipe once before, maybe ya miss'd it? It's a keeper. Fishing season is in full swing in Alaska - our freezers are quickly filling up & we eat a lot of fish, shrimp & mollusks as we are practicing locavores almost nightly - so wild, so fresh.! This recipe is close to mine from chow.com:

Miso-Ginger Glazed Salmon

Ingredients:

• Vegetable oil, for coating the aluminum foil (I use grapeseed oil)
  • 1/2 cup mirin
  • 1/2 cup red miso paste (white miso good too)
  • 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup shoyu sauce
  • 2 tablespoons peeled and grated fresh ginger (from about a 2-inch piece)
  • 1 salmon side (about 3 1/2 pounds), skin on and pin bones removed
  • 2 medium scallions, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
  • 2 teaspoons white sesame seeds, toasted

Instructions:

• Heat the oven to broil and arrange a rack in the middle. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and coat the foil with vegetable oil; set aside.
  • Whisk the mirin, miso, brown sugar, soy sauce, and ginger in a medium bowl until combined. Reserve 1/3 cup of the miso mixture in a small bowl; set aside.
  • Rinse the salmon under cold running water, pat dry with paper towels, and place on the baking sheet skin-side down. Using a sharp knife, score the salmon with parallel 1/4-inch-deep diagonal cuts spaced 2 inches apart.
  • Brush the salmon with all of the reserved 1/3 cup miso mixture. (If the side of salmon is longer than the baking sheet, tuck the tail end of the fish under itself after the miso mixture has been applied.) Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  • Set a small fine-mesh strainer over a small bowl and strain the remaining miso mixture. Discard the solids and set the strained sauce aside.
  • Remove the fish from the refrigerator and discard the plastic wrap. Broil the salmon on the baking sheet, rotating once or twice, until it’s just opaque in the center and a golden brown crust has formed, about 10 to 12 minutes.
  • Remove the salmon from the oven, transfer it to a serving platter, and sprinkle it with the scallions and sesame seeds. Serve immediately, passing the strained sauce on the side.

The flavor of the salmon shines thru . . . .Enjoy! Serve with Meyer Lemon when avail.

Honored Contributor

My simplest way is to sear it on both sides and let it finish cooking in the oven...salt, pepper, lemon juice toward the end.

Lower the heat on the stove and add a quality creamy parmesan salad dressing a minute or two before salmon is done for a scampi type sauce and serve over pasta. Do this with shrimp or a meaty type of white fish (halibut is my fav) too.

Wrap in foil with a little olive oil and your favorite seasonings and bake.

Place a clove of garlic on top of salmon that has a little olive oil on it; wrap in foil and bake. The garlic roasts and adds a great flavor. I prefer to roast the garlic separately and add a clove to the fish since garlic takes longer to roast than seafood. But if you don't eat the roasted garlic, just putting it on the fish uncooked works great.

Honored Contributor

I love salmon and all of these new recipes! DH and I just had some Copper River Salmon last night. I put individual pieces of salmon on foil......sprinkle with lemon-pepper seasoning and Italian herb seasoning.....slice of butter on top....make a tent.....pour little white wine around salmon.....fold up....place in Pyrex dish.......bake....425 ...15-20 minutes......no smell, no mess(unless foil leaks)....easy clean up.
Occasional Contributor

Place salmon on three slices of lemon.....three more on top, dot with butter and seal in foil packet. Bake about 25 Minutes....45 if frozen. So delicious...gotta use the lemon slices...not that fake lemon juice! Simply ball up the foil for clean up. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Occasional Contributor

Hi...I don't cook my salmon, I have the fish guy remove the skin from the bottom side when I

buy a side.....I immediately put it in the freezer when I get home and freeze this piece of

salmon for 7 days.....after the 7 days I remove and let it thaw out in the crisper for l day,

when thawed out I cut thin slices and put it on bread and creamcheese...it is now Sushi grade

and can be eaten raw....by freezing for 7 days you kill all the parasites in the raw salmon....

you have to like sushi and the taste ......wonderful....check it out on google....enjoy larry

Super Contributor

Salmon fillets- grilled with lemon slices, salt & pepper wrapped in foil.

Canned salmon: Salmon patties. Dump can in bowl- remove bones. Mix in 1 egg, some chopped onion, salt & pepper, and some Old Bay seasoning, and fry both sides in a very small amount of canola oil. serve with dijon mustard on the side.

Esteemed Contributor

The George Foreman grill is the only way I cook it. 7 minutes.

Honored Contributor

I sprinkle Lawry's seasoned salt over the top and broil it.

Esteemed Contributor

I so appreciate all these wonderful recipes!! TY!!

Valued Contributor

I love to bake it, in foil, in oven about 400 degrees. I also like it grilled. However, there are four of us and only one child will eat it with me.