Valued Contributor

Re: Help with Thanksgiving Stuffing

I did some research online, and came across a post for Uneeda stuffing...hope this helps, they found a substitute they like, Goya:

While not identical in texture, I've recently discovered that Goya Snack Crackers (sold in a large plastic bag of four individually wrapped bags in the Latino section) are remarkably similar in flavor. They are a simple wheat cracker (they are bit more dense) with no sugar or malt, very little salt and very much like the Uneeda.

- -

You are correct! I used these a year ago when could not find Uneeeda biscuits and had to get something for my traditional stuffing recipe for Thanksgiving. They are really very close to Uneeda. Have been searching high and low and now I found out that Uneeda biscuits are discontinued. So, now I will be looking in the Latino section for these crackers

- -

My Grandma's recipe, which seems different from those posted already:

6 Spanish onions, diced

1 pkg. fresh mushrooms, sliced

oil

2 boxes Uneeda Biscuits (now Goya Snack crackers)

1 small box Kellog's Corn Flakes

water

4 eggs, beaten

salt, pepper & paprika to taste

Saute onions & mushrooms in a little oil; set aside to cool.

Combine biscuites & cornflakes in a colander; run under faucet, tossing to moisten all. Squeeze out excess water. Transfer to a large mixing bowl & blend in onion-mushroom mixture, eggs, salt, pepper & paprika. Pour into a large baking pan. At this point it can be refrigerated overnight.

Bake at 350 degrees covered with foil for 45 minutes. Uncover & bake for additional 15 minutes to brown stuffing.

It makes a lot & the recipe can be halved.

- -

Above posts & info from this url:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/581650

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Super Contributor

Uneeda biscuits remind me of salt-less saltines. Speaking of...

It was only about one year ago that I discovered that for all their married lives, my elderly parents have been split into 2 separate camps: CRACKER STUFFING VERSUS BREAD STUFFING!

Whaaat? A food war that I hadn't even know existed? Where the heck had I been?!

Apparently, my mother was raised with traditional bread stuffing, while my dad's family used Saltine crackers. They compromised. He made cracker stuffing for Thanksgiving, and she made bread stuffing for Christmas.

After thinking abut it, I do remember helping my mom to crumble up the stuffing bread, but also have vague recollections of my dad throwing sleeves of Saltines into a mixing bowl!

My mother was stunned when I told her that I never noticed a difference.

Esteemed Contributor

2# mild pork sausage, 1# hot pork sausage cooked, crumbled, drained &

1 med onion, 4 stalks celery diced & sauteed in butter

& prepare 4 boxes stovetop (store brand is okay) turkey stuffing,

use low sodium chicken broth instead of water

combine all and put crockpot to keep warm.

Regular Contributor

On 11/8/2014 dobiesrule said: I have an excellent, IMHO, recipe handed down from my mother. However, it is the old Southern cornbread dressing. I make it every Thanksgiving.
The best! I use my mama's who used her mama's.