Contributor

Help with Thanksgiving Stuffing

Hi Ladies,

I would like to ask if anyone has a good stuffing recipe for the Thanksgiving turkey. That is on thing I have not mastered. I would say I am just an average cook and my family likes just a plain ordinary good tasting stuffing. We don't like sausage, oysters, cranberries, cornbread in it. I usually use the Pepperidge Farms bag stuffing and put celery, onions and chicken broth and some Bell's seasoning in it, but it never tastes good to me. One time I used the Bell's box stuffing mix, but that wasn't much better. I would really appreciate any suggestions you good cooks have. I am fixing dinner for quite a few this year and need all the help I can get. Hope you all have a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Help with Thanksgiving Stuffing

Google stuffing recipes, & look for one that calls for day-old baguettes or ciabattas, and simple sautéed onions, celery, maybe carrots, seasonings & a lot of butter! The last is the secret!
Esteemed Contributor

I don't like to use a seasoning mix. I use good quality rubbed sage as the only seasoning. Also, make sure you saute your celery and onions in butter and dump the whole thing, butter and all into the mix.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Trusted Contributor

Anyone remember Uneeda biscuits? They made the best stuffing ever. I'm always looking for a substitute, but no luck yet.
Regular Contributor

onions and celery cut up and cooked until soft in butter (1 stick) I like mine still crunchy so I don't cook it until soft

day old can biscuits, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, herbs-sage, thyme, rosemary

1 egg

broth

If what you are fixing doesn't have enough "taste" for you, season it more. I like fresh herbs over dried, but each to their own. I use the neck to make broth. I add garlic, celery, lemon, onion, salt, pepper and herbs to a pot of water with the turkey neck. I simmer it for over 2 hours and the broth is what I use to make my stuffing and gravy.

Trusted Contributor

I make my own croutons using about a loaf and a half of white bread, cut in cubes. Add 3/4 tsp. poultry seasoning, 3/4 tsp. rubbed sage, 2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. black pepper. These can be prepared the night before, left in a bowl covered with waxed paper. That allows the bread to dry out a little and the seasonings to penetrate. Seasonings can be cut down on or increased to taste. Also, if it is too highly seasoned, add a little more plain white bread cubes to spread out the flavor of seasonings.

Add to the croutons 1 cup of chopped celery and a half cup of chopped onion that have been simmered until the onions are clear in 3/4 cup (a stick and a half of Imperial) margarine. Again, the celery and onion can be increased or decreased to taste. This about what I use. My family is not big on a lot of celery.

Mix into the crouton/vegetable mixture 2 eggs that have been beaten into 1 1/3 cups of milk. Add a can of Swanson chicken broth. Giblets and/or a can of cream of mushroom soup (undiluted) are optional add=ins.

Bake in a 9 x 13 inch pan at 350 about a half hour, or when golden around the edges. Or stuff the cavity of the turkey with the stuffing mixture.

My daughter calls me every Thanksgiving for this recipe. It is an improvisation from the old Farm Journal's Country Cookbook. We like our stuffing moist, and this is a moist stuffing, a thousand per cent better than stove top.

Respected Contributor

On 11/8/2014 NYCMarian said: Anyone remember Uneeda biscuits? They made the best stuffing ever. I'm always looking for a substitute, but no luck yet.
Now THAT was a cracker! Yes, I liked them...wish they would come back. But never though if using for stuffing.
Honored Contributor

I use the Herb P Farms stuffing. I put the celery and onions in chicken broth and microwave twenty minutes with a stick of butter and about two tablespoons of poultry seasoning. I put that in the bowl with the stuffing and only add broth and butter to finish equaling the package directions.

I did the homemade dressing one year and my family felt it was more like a cornmeal pudding. It was too fine for their tastes. They like a little more substance.

Super Contributor

I have an excellent, IMHO, recipe handed down from my mother. However, it is the old Southern cornbread dressing. I make it every Thanksgiving.
Respected Contributor

On 11/8/2014 GrailSeeker said:

I make my own croutons using about a loaf and a half of white bread, cut in cubes. Add 3/4 tsp. poultry seasoning, 3/4 tsp. rubbed sage, 2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. black pepper. These can be prepared the night before, left in a bowl covered with waxed paper. That allows the bread to dry out a little and the seasonings to penetrate. Seasonings can be cut down on or increased to taste. Also, if it is too highly seasoned, add a little more plain white bread cubes to spread out the flavor of seasonings.

Add to the croutons 1 cup of chopped celery and a half cup of chopped onion that have been simmered until the onions are clear in 3/4 cup (a stick and a half of Imperial) margarine. Again, the celery and onion can be increased or decreased to taste. This about what I use. My family is not big on a lot of celery.

Mix into the crouton/vegetable mixture 2 eggs that have been beaten into 1 1/3 cups of milk. Add a can of Swanson chicken broth. Giblets and/or a can of cream of mushroom soup (undiluted) are optional add=ins.

Bake in a 9 x 13 inch pan at 350 about a half hour, or when golden around the edges. Or stuff the cavity of the turkey with the stuffing mixture.

My daughter calls me every Thanksgiving for this recipe. It is an improvisation from the old Farm Journal's Country Cookbook. We like our stuffing moist, and this is a moist stuffing, a thousand per cent better than stove top.

We make ours the same, except I never used milk. I think I will try that and yes, eggs definitely make a wonderful dressing complete! Smiley Happy.