Honored Contributor

Re: Health First - Mrs. Prindable's

Maybe I am wrong, but I was under the impression that the illness is caused by the caramel. The commercial caramel would be purchased, melted and the apples would be covered with it, packaged and sent out.

Mrs. Prindable's does not purchase commercial caramel. It is made with sugar and cream, fresh everyday.

I would think that it is as safe as what I prepare in my kitchen at home from fresh ingredients.

Regular Contributor

The CDC doesn't know the source of the infection yet. They don't know if it is the caramel, an ingredient in the caramel or if its' something in the apples. It may be the manner in which the apples are washed off or steamed off. I can't believe that anyone would eat or gift caramel apples until this investigation is completed.

Contributor

I received my Mrs. Prindables order on Wednesday and was ready to start gifting them today. Had a few in boxes all ready to go. Last night I started reading the boards, which I haven't done in awhile, and came upon quite a few threads on this subject. I was very shocked since I order these every Christmas for family and friends. After reading every post and the CDC's notice, I went to Mrs. Prindables site directly. I expected to be reassured that this did not pertain to their product, that their quality control has been ontop of the situation and we had nothing to worry about. Sadly, all I found out was, they are monitoring the situation. REALLY???? I phoned QVC CS this morning and was kindly issued a credit. Nothing in this world is worth taking a "Chance" on one's health. Sadly, they are all being trashed.

ttp://www.cdc.gov/listeria/outbreaks/caramel-apples-12-14/

http://www.mrsprindables.com/news

Honored Contributor

Mrs. Prindable's apples are okay to eat after all. The CDC traced the listeria outbreak to an apple supplier, Bidart Bros. in California. Mrs. Prindable's issued a press release on January 11 saying they did not purchase apples from Bidart Bros.

Press Release

Honored Contributor

I wonder how consumers will know what apples came from this producer, usually only the name of the apples are on the sign.

Super Contributor

On 1/14/2015 ValuSkr said:

Mrs. Prindable's apples are okay to eat after all. The CDC traced the listeria outbreak to an apple supplier, Bidart Bros. in California. Mrs. Prindable's issued a press release on January 11 saying they did not purchase apples from Bidart Bros.

Press Release

Thanks so much for this update. I have kept all the apples I received just prior to the listeria outbreak. All are still good and safe to eat.

Honored Contributor

Our order arrived on December 10th and we ate our last apple on Christmas Eve. Once Mrs Prindables made their statement, I wasn't in the least worried about the safety of their product.
Trusted Contributor

On 1/14/2015 RedTop said: Our order arrived on December 10th and we ate our last apple on Christmas Eve. Once Mrs Prindables made their statement, I wasn't in the least worried about the safety of their product.

So did ours. I actually ordered them for the first time this year. We finished them off on Christmas Day. They were quite good.

Honored Contributor

I just can't get into all the fear-mongering about food. It's been weeks since this apple thing was an issue and I'm not going to be intimidated if I want a Mrs. P. for dinner.