Respected Contributor

Have You Invited Guests Over For Dessert

My DH birthday is next week and I don't really feel like throwing  another cookout. I want to just invite people over for cake and ice cream around 1pm. Has anyone here ever invited people over for just dessert? Does this sound cheap and tacky? Thanks

Regular Contributor

Re: Have You Invited Guests Over For Dessert

Hi.. I dont think that it does, esp. if its his birthday.. Have you thought about finger sandwiches and a few Hors d'oeuvres? Then the cake and ice cream.. That would be nice. I do understand what you are saying about a cookout..

Honored Contributor

Great idea. I’m getting older and difficult to entertain with special meals plus trouble to clean house and do a lot of shopping. We have friends over for  board games and movie nights, offering a variety of drinks, tea, soda and coffee and two different desserts and always includes a variety of fresh fruit in season. During the summer have a bring your favorite ice cream or have a variety of ice cream and toppings to make banana splits or milk shakes. Also offered ice cream sandwiches, and other individual served items. We have fun and enjoy the fellowship instead of being worn out from extensive planning and preparing. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

Inviting people over for dessert at 1 o'clock in the afternoon?? Weird time. Dessert at someones house for me is at around 7pm. I can't have desserts anyway but I surely couldn't sneak it in at 1 in the afternoon. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama : We are retired and now have more lunch time and early afternoon easy and quick get together activities since some of us can no longer drive at night. We really try to have fun instead of sitting around complaining that we can’t do something. You will be surprised by the number of people who appreciate the time change and different events. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Inviting people over for dessert at 1 o'clock in the afternoon?? Weird time. Dessert at someones house for me is at around 7pm. I can't have desserts anyway but I surely couldn't sneak it in at 1 in the afternoon. 

I have to agree with this.  To me just offering dessert would be for the evening after dinner.  However I understand about many not being able to drive at night (yet it doesn't get dark out until 8 or 9 m right now) and wanting to get together in the afternoon.

Why not offer some light appertizers or small finger sandwiches & food then dessert?  I do understand about not wanting to do the cookout...it's a lot of work!

Respected Contributor

I think it's a great idea....just make sure that the guests know if is for cake and ice cream.  I've had people over for an ice cream social in the past and nobody expected food.  Do what you want and enjoy the day.

Esteemed Contributor

@cuddlesmama  To me, it sounds like fun.  I think that I would make it an ice cream social, with different kinds of ice creams, toppings, and maybe ice cream sodas and milkshakes to go along with the cake.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Super Contributor

@cuddlesmama I think ice cream and cake sounds delightful!  It doesn’t sound cheap or tacky. You don’t need snacks or a meal, just your friends!  ENJOY

Esteemed Contributor

I would not just invite people over for dessert.I would serve a light lunch like finger foods & appetizers.Maybe even a pizza.Then I would serve the ice cream & cake.