Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Invited Guests Over For Dessert

I think it's fine but I'd do it either in the evening or maybe the middle of the afternoon when a meal or "real food" wouldn't be expected.

I do cake and coffee things all the time, but I do them in the evening.

Honored Contributor

Yes I have and so did my Mom from time to time with family or friends.  It is a nice change and more relaxing with everyone including the hosts to visit.  Remember the days of inviting a friend over for coffee around the kitchen table?  Dessert time just after lunch time or dinner time is perfectly fine and fun.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

I was invited over to a friend's house for a piece of birthday cake in the evening.  Sounded like fun.  Imagine my embarrassment when I was the only person who did not bring a gift! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Because it’s at lunchtime, it does seem a bit “off” to me to have just ice cream and cake at that time.  If it were me I would order a couple of pizzas and have some beverages....then the ice cream and cake.

But....that’s me.  You know your family/friends who will be invited.  If you feel comfortable doing it the way you were thinking, then go for it!  

I would never think a friend or family member was being tacky or cheap if they served only ice cream and cake.  I love them, and wouldn’t judge,

Esteemed Contributor

Its perfectly fine to invite people over for desert. Though cake and ice cream is cliche`, an upscale desert or two (maybe cheese and crackers with wine) would be just fine to enjoy a nice evening. 

Super Contributor

Thinking outside the box is a special trait of us seniors--something to look forward to in growing odler.

Respected Contributor

@Deb665 wrote:

@cuddlesmama I think ice cream and cake sounds delightful!  It doesn’t sound cheap or tacky. You don’t need snacks or a meal, just your friends!  ENJOY

Thank you!!

Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@cuddlesmama  To me, it sounds like fun.  I think that I would make it an ice cream social, with different kinds of ice creams, toppings, and maybe ice cream sodas and milkshakes to go along with the cake.

Thank you!!

Respected Contributor

@Travone wrote:

I think it's a great idea....just make sure that the guests know if is for cake and ice cream.  I've had people over for an ice cream social in the past and nobody expected food.  Do what you want and enjoy the day.

Thank you!!

Respected Contributor

@SeasonedCitizen wrote:

Thinking outside the box is a special trait of us seniors--something to look forward to in growing odler.

We are also seniors. Both have been retired for 1 year already. Thank you!