Valued Contributor

Grew up with gas stoves.  Cooked on electric stoves for 20+ years.  Purchased a dual fuel about 5 years ago....gas burners, electric/convection oven.  Definitely prefer the gas for cooking, but I think having an electric smooth top makes cleaning super easy.

Honored Contributor

I've had both and really don't have a preference. Mine now is a gas range and an electric oven. Love it!

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

I prefer gas....I always burn stuff when I cook over my daughters on her electric stove...

Trusted Contributor

I much prefer a gas cooktop. I moved into the family home to take care of my elderly mother, and while the kitchen is plumbed for gas Mom has always had an electric cooktop. I tried to get her to agree to switch out the electric for gas, but she is so fearful of flame (even the gas fireplace logs aren't used much) that it wasn't worth the battle. So, I installed a new glass cooktop and am doing the best I can. But I cook better on a gas cooktop and will have one when I have my own home again.

Honored Contributor

I've used both - electric at home and gas at camp - and I greatly prefer electric.

Honored Contributor

Definitely gas for my cooktop. I have electric for the oven.

Honored Contributor

I am fire phobic, no open flames, not even candles, in this house.  I have had glass or ceramic tops for the past 35 years.  They heat up just as fast as gas, unlike coil tops I found to be slow.  And they look nice if you keep them clean.  (Today is the day)

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I am fire phobic, no open flames, not even candles, in this house.  I have had glass or ceramic tops for the past 35 years.  They heat up just as fast as gas, unlike coil tops I found to be slow.  And they look nice if you keep them clean.  (Today is the day)

I would love to get one of those flat top electric stoves one day.  But having cooked on a coil top stove all my life, I find it works just fine.    I do love the look of the sleek ones without those ugly burners.  That's why I use those heavy burner covers.  At least it looks fairly good.  Smiley Happy

I would have to research what kinds of pans cannot be used on a flat top, though, as I have no idea and would hate to end up not able to use some pans.  Mine are all either hard anodized, stainless steel, some cast iron, and a lot of LC enameled cast iron.

Maybe if some of those couldn't work I would just buy one of those extra burner things and that would, hopefully, take care of that.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I too prefer gas, when the burner is turned off it is off.  Not to mention after 18 years of having the electricity go off for days at a time every winter the gas burners with a match came in mighty handy for cooking.  Could not use the oven part but the burners were a blessing

Loved having a gas hot water heater too.  We may have had to huddle up in front of the fireplace but we were clean and had hot food for up to three snowed/iced in days at a time living out in the country.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I've noticed that new homes in our area have gas stoves. It's what the builders are putting in. 

I've always had electric and that's my preference. For 20+ years I've had a ceramic cooktop, and I love them. They've improved; my new stove has 2 super-burners that boil water very quickly and the burners are larger.  

I bake a lot, and I really like baking in an electric oven.