Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3. I have a hard time feeling that gas is totally safe.  I've heard of more than one case of explosions in homes because of gas.  And I had gas in the apartment that I lived in and the gas company had to come out very late at night because of a gas leak.  Even with that, nothing can compare with the instant control one has when cooking with gas.  But again, a moot point for me, since gas is not available in my area.

Spoiler
Woman Happy
Respected Contributor

gas burners electric oven

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

@suzyQ3. I have a hard time feeling that gas is totally safe.  I've heard of more than one case of explosions in homes because of gas.  And I had gas in the apartment that I lived in and the gas company had to come out very late at night because of a gas leak.  Even with that, nothing can compare with the instant control one has when cooking with gas.  But again, a moot point for me, since gas is not available in my area.

Spoiler
Woman Happy

@Krimpette, yes, I guess there could be an accident.

One other thing that I like about gas stoves (and water heaters) is that they function during a power outage.

But as you say, a moot point if it's not an option. I'm sure that even we gas lovers would not "suffer" with electric appliances. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I have to vote on the 'electric' side on this.   I've used an electric stove since I was a small child cooking for the family.

That continues to be my choice, as I've done it so long that I have just as much control as with gas burners.

Furthermore, as the klutz of the century, I don't think having live flames in the room is at all a good idea for me.  There would be something bad happen.  I'm quite sure of that.  Smiley Very Happy

Now that they have the flat surface electric stoves, I just figured most people were using those.  My stove is an older electric one with those ugly burners.  I have purchased a supply of 'burner covers' for each of them.  Since my stove is black, they look great as they are also black.  The ones I'm using now are heavy cast iron coated in (whatever that is) black.    I remove a cover to use the burner, but you don't have to.  I'm just ridiculously married to the idea of making things last as long as possible.

Respected Contributor

for us gas for cook top and oven. we had electric once and we hated it.

Honored Contributor

The apartment we rented when DH and I got married had electric.  I had grown up with gas so it was a learning experience.  I prefer using gas as I believe the cook has more control with it.  Gas is cheaper to use too.

Respected Contributor

I prefer gas, as that's what I learned to cook on. 

When I was a really little kid (mid 1950's) my folks bought a brand new home in Hermosa Beach, CA & the kitchen appliances were almost all gas powered.  My mom had a spiffy O'Keefe & Merritt gas stove, a gas refrigerator & a gas clothes dryer, plus the house had a forced air gas furnace & gas water heater. 

Valued Contributor

I have had both.  I now only use electric.  I never liked the gas stoves.

Respected Contributor

I have primarly used gas, except for a short period when I was in an apartment.  

When I remodeled my kitchen, I replaced my gas range with a gas cooktop and an electric oven with a convection option.  

Respected Contributor

We had electric for years but when we remodeled, we put in gas.

I like gas much better.