Honored Contributor

We buy fresh fruit, no canned.

Respected Contributor

We buy a mix of fresh, frozen, and canned. I don't sometimes feel up to driving to the store, so we keep canned for times when our fresh has passed its prime. The only frozen fruit we truly enjoy is strawberries because I use them in recipes. Living in the middle of the US means our fruit travels a while before it makes its way to the shelves. We don't always have the best assortment of fresh items.

One of our favorite canned fruits is Del Monte Citrus Salad. We keep peaches and pineapple on hand as well. Sadly my fruit intake has suffered because of acid reflux. Melons are the kindest fruits to my acid issues. The frozen are awful. This time of year makes finding a good fresh one nearly impossible. When warm weather arrives it's watermelon and cantaloupe daily until well into fall.

Trusted Contributor

Fresh--except occasionally for pineapple if I make a cream cheese and pineapple dip.  I am lucky enough to live across the street from a Farmer's Market, open three days a week, so I have access to fruits and veggies.

Esteemed Contributor

I prefer fresh fruit .I only buy pineapple  or mango canned for  certain recipes .

I do remember that canned fruit salad when I was a child. I only ate the pears & peaches , the rest of the fruit in the can was not to my liking .

I worked with a lady  who made  an English Triffle dessert with the usual sponge cake , however she used the canned fruit cocktail . Yuck , it was the worst.

For me Triffle must have sponge cake or angel food cake , home made vanilla custard,  fresh fruit  such as strawberry, or raspberry  and topped with fresh whipped cream .

Honored Contributor

@Carmie Do you. have a lot of luck with the fresh pineapples?  Do they ripen well on the counter?  

TIA

Honored Contributor

I will buy Dole pineapple in it's own juice and occasionally Lite pear halves.  I won't buy anything in heavy syrup.  I keep the pineapple and pears on the shelf for when I run out of all of the fresh fruit I buy for lunch.

I also serve fruit on a lettuce leaf with grated cheddar cheese to round out a meal. There's a blast from the past!

In season I love cantulope, honey dew, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, pears, South Carolina peaches, and occasionally, apples.  I ate apples every day as a teacher and now don't chose them as often.

Honored Contributor

Definitely more fresh.  I like most fruits, berries, and melons.

about the only canned one I used to buy (it's been a while) are the canned mandarin sections.

I sometimes get some frozen berries.

Respected Contributor

We mostly eat all fresh fruit but I always have canned mandarin oranges, peaches and pineapple slices on hand.  I keep raisins in stock for our oatmeal and dried cranberries for our salads.

Honored Contributor

@godi wrote:

I'm surprised more people eat canned fruit. I read somewhere that Walmarts number one selling item is bananas. Fresh fruit for me. 

@godi 

I was surprised to hear them say 90% eat canned fruit. I really never thought about it because I have always bought fresh plus frozen for smoothies.  

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Fresh fruit only.  But, generally, only in season; it tends to be less expensive then.  I get bananas year-round.

But I did have canned peaches about a year ago (it was free through an Acme promotion).  They were sliced and in juice, not that heavy syrup.  They were better than I remembered.

@ValuSkr 

We get fresh peaches from Co. really late in the year like Sept-Oct. I freeze a lot of them for smoothies. Made a peach frozen yogurt shake yesterday. 

I don't care for fruit in that heavy syrup either.