Honored Contributor

Fresh: apples, oranges, pears, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, mangoes, kiwis, melons, bananas, peaches, nectarines, cherries, all when in season.

We occasionally buy frozen blueberries or strawberries.

All fruit is organic when available.   We are careful to not buy fruit from China--which lets out a lot of canned fruit.

We also keep dried cherries, blueberries, raisins and dried "plums" for my aunt's fabulous prune cake once in a while!  

Honored Contributor

I buy a lot of apples for baking.  i buy a fresh pinapple, Kiwi and Dragon Fruit maybe once a month.

i really don't like fruit all that much and only buy bananas, strawberries and grapes if I need them for a recipe.  I don't buy canned fruit.

I used to buy fresh fruit for my DH, but it usually goes bad and I throw it out.

So, fresh apples only...

Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

Do you consume more fresh fruit or canned fruit?

Watching a new show Out of Stock: Supply Chain Crisis: Panic at the Supermarket.

They said 90% of the people consume canned fruit?

I think pineapple is the only canned fruit I buy when I make Watergate Salad. I always buy fresh or frozen fruit?

They were talking about this due to the aluminum shortage for canned foods right now.

We only eat fresh fruit, never canned. Growing up, I ate canned fruit. It was just the way it was in those days in winter time. Only apples, pears, oranges and bananas were a sure thing in winter.

Now, we trade with so many countries that we can get nice fruit all year long. I love a good peach in winter.

Also, growing up, asparagus and broccoli rabe were a spring treat. There was no way to get them except at that time. I always associate asparagus with Easter. Mom would buy several pounds for the holiday and we loved it.

Now? You can get broccoli rabe every day at the supermarket, and I do. Asparagus is around too just about year round. We love asparagus omelets.

I do keep canned crushed pineapple for baking some desserts. That's about it for canned.

Esteemed Contributor

Only fresh or frozen fruit or vegs. I haven't purchased anything in a can in years. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I only buy fresh fruit.  I do occasionally, and rarely, buy some frozen berries.  I can't even remember the last time I ate canned fruit.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I'm surprised more people eat canned fruit. I read somewhere that Walmarts number one selling item is bananas. Fresh fruit for me. 

Honored Contributor

I prefer fresh, but my fruit consumption is limited to small amounts of berries. I thought it would be better for our budget to buy a bag of frozen mixed berries and just thaw a little at a time, to top yogurt, granola, or chia pudding. One positive is that none will go to waste, but the flavor and texture is sacrificed, so I'm not sold on sticking with it.

Respected Contributor

Fresh fruit for the win!  I get my fruit from either Publix or our local Italian market that has great produce.  Sometimes I go to a Farmer's Market if I have the time.  I also have several fruit trees in my backyard so I am fortunate with that.  Can't beat the price or freshness of those!  LOL

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

Fresh fruit only.  But, generally, only in season; it tends to be less expensive then.  I get bananas year-round.

But I did have canned peaches about a year ago (it was free through an Acme promotion).  They were sliced and in juice, not that heavy syrup.  They were better than I remembered.

Respected Contributor

I buy fresh fruit regularly...I love fruit.

I also keep frozen berries, mango and cherries in the freezer for smoothies. ...though...those cherries are nice frozen fruit snacks sometimes. 😋

I've bought canned pineapple and peaches in the past, occasionally, for some specific recipe, but don't buy them much or any other canned fruit.

Interesting to hear about "aluminum" shortage now...sigh...what else?!! 

I skipped big grocery last week, only shopped a local farm market up the road. Given what I'm seeing at stores like CVS, and what I read here, it will be interesting to see what the shelves are like and what's available or not. I know, as I posted here last week, it was the first time since 2020 I didn't find the paper goods I wanted at CVS.