Respected Contributor

Frozen Steak vs. Defrosted (?)

Have you ever eaten steak 2 days after it was defrosted in water?

Was it safe to eat or did you get sick?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Re: Frozen Steak vs. Defrosted (?)

@RinaRinawrote:

Have you ever eaten steak 2 days after it was defrosted in water?

Was it safe to eat or did you get sick?

I would eat it as long as you have kept it refrigerated.

Valued Contributor

I've eaten steak that I left out on the counter overnight and lived to tell the tale. Now I don't even bother defrosting, I just take the frozen humk out and plop it into the Ninja until tender...or plunk it right on the grill Smiley LOL

Frequent Contributor

I take ours out in time for it to thaw and come to room temp before cooking.

Respected Contributor

@Qusewrote:

I've eaten steak that I left out on the counter overnight and lived to tell the tale. Now I don't even bother defrosting, I just take the frozen humk out and plop it into the Ninja until tender...or plunk it right on the grill Smiley LOL

After I read your post, I "plopped" the steak into my Instanpot.  However, I must've  FORGOTTEN it wasn't frozen anymore and left it in the pot too long.

It came out like a BULLY STICK SLAB (for a dog).

I cut it in slices and put in the fridge for my dog. 

That thing was so tough, it's a miracle my dog could even chew it.  LOL!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Cooked beef is difficult for anybody to digest, but cooked beef is exponentially more difficult for dogs to digest.  

Respected Contributor

I would do the sniff test.  If it has a milky scent or has changed color,  toss it.

Honored Contributor

Never cooked a steak or anything else from frozen.

Just makes sense to bring what you cook to room temp before cooking.

I like to marinate my steaks or at least season them before cooking.

Talking about steak I have a leftover filet mignon I should eat for lunch or dinner with a salad.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't quite understand what "defrosting in water" is....I defrost them in the refrigerator in their original wrapper. I've kept them defrosted and or/marinated in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days, and I'm still here! My dear dad was a meat cutter and saved the best "aged" steaks for our family - they were wonderful. And yes, aged meat means that they were not freshly cut! I think many foods last a lot longer than people think. Most foods do not "go bad" in a day or two.

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1wrote:

I don't quite understand what "defrosting in water" is....I defrost them in the refrigerator in their original wrapper. I've kept them defrosted and or/marinated in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days, and I'm still here! My dear dad was a meat cutter and saved the best "aged" steaks for our family - they were wonderful. And yes, aged meat means that they were not freshly cut! I think many foods last a lot longer than people think. Most foods do not "go bad" in a day or two.

@jannabelle1.  I freeze my steaks in freezer bags. To defrost I put the steak and bag in a bowl of cold water to defrost.