Respected Contributor

Filter Pitcher VS Faucet Filter

Which is better?  I have had a filter pitcher and it developed mold, possibly because it was not kept in the fridge!??

So I have been trying to decide on trying a pitcher again or a filter on the faucet?

Can you all advise?!   Man Very Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Filter Pitcher VS Faucet Filter

@FlowerBear   Yes, the mold would come from that.  You have to keep the filtration pitcher in the refrigerator.  I've had and used my PUR pitcher for years without any problems.

I also had the same brand for the kitchen faucet for yearsbut haven't used it since I moved to my current apartment--kitchen sink set up is fancier/more up to date and I don't want to chance doing anything to disturb it.  

Respected Contributor

I didnt even know you should keep the pitcher in the fridge. Silly me lol.  I tried the PUR too and when it got the mold I was afraid to use it again. 

I have moved to a new place too  which is more up to date!  So happy and happy for you Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear : I didn’t know that should be kept in refrigerator. My looked bad yesterday and will put it in the dishwasher. I kept mine on the counter because I have trouble lifting it. We have low water pressure in our area and afraid to attach anything to the faucet. Southern Bee 

Trusted Contributor

I've always used a brita.  I love it.  I have filtered water on the door of my fridge too that has the same charcoal filtration as pur.   We have town water and I can smell chlorine from the sink but it's fine once it's filtered.  I usually keep it in the fridge but have left it out on occasion, never knew you had to keep it in the frige.  What I don't like about the pitcher is its not dishwasher safe.  Wonder if the Pur is? 

I'd think if you cleaned it out really well it would be fine and just leave it in the fridge and change it -  I don't like the look of the faucet filter so I use the pitcher. 

Honored Contributor

that happened to my Brita too,  just cleaned it out, new filter etc.

I keep in the fridge once its' gets hot.

Respected Contributor

I was afraid to use it due to my mold allergies. Dont have a dishwasher, and that might have cleaned it better!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Jtdmum : I have the zero water pitcher and since in has mold will put it in the dishwasher and if it messes it up will purchase a new one. We have filter water on the fridge but use the other for coffee pot and DH bipap machine. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

I was afraid to use it due to my mold allergies. Dont have a dishwasher, and that might have cleaned it better!  Smiley Happy

they are cheap enough, buy a new one?

Esteemed Contributor

I've had a brita for many years, never had any mold.  It's kept in the fridge always.  I hand wash and use vinegar.  I change the filter regularlly.