Respected Contributor

Anyone Had Luck With Other-Than-Le-Creuset Cast Iron Dutch Ovens?

First of all, nothing against LC. I know they're quality, gorgeous (is there anything more beautiful than their Marseille blue?), and worth the price. I was just wondering if you'd tried and *liked* anything else.

I know some have mentioned things sticking with LC, but I think that's just a feature of enameling--and the hints by LC users here have been helpful with respect to gradual heating, avoiding extreme temps, etc--and they're applicable to any enameled cast iron.

So the sticking isn't an issue with me, should it happen. I watch ATK/Cook's Country on PBS often, and they use LC exclusively. And things stick to their pans. They're always scraping "fond" from the sides and bottom of the Dutch Ovens to make gravy or whatnot, using a wooden spoon.

What concerns me about purchasing something at LC's price (and quality) are the number of complaints regarding receiving the pieces *chipped*, with ill-fitting lids, or feeling rough and "unfinished." I know I'D probably get one of those lol and don't want the hassle of returning it. There's a Williams Sonoma nearby, so I'd feel comfortable picking [a perfect] one up there, but I love the QVC deals--the above-mentioned poor reviews, not so much. This also happens on Amazon with LC, so it's a quality control issue ith LC.

I have to say, I've had very good luck with inexpensive (okay, cheap🙂) brands. Last fall, I got a small DO at Marshall's, maybe their proprietary brand. It's an unusual color which matches nothing in our kitchen lol but I liked it--it's between a blue and mint green, and it has a subtle confetti "speckle" to it. The interior is that sand color, and the lid has those dimples to return water back to the pot. It's very heavy, but it's smaller, about 4qt, so that's good. It got a real workout all fall and winter, and I just pulled it out again the other day to make soup. Oh, and did I mention it was $29.99?

Anyway, how about you? Have you been pleasantly surprised by more inexpensive (or dirt cheap😯) cast iron pots?

Dang, though, I really love that LC Marseille blue...

What worries you masters you.
Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone Had Luck With Other-Than-Le-Creuset Cast Iron Dutch Ovens?

Oh yes.. check out Lodge on Amazon.  And google for comparisons to Le Creuset (the dutch oven).. just as good and a lot less $$.

Honored Contributor

I got a half aluminum and half cast iron skillet made by  Waring and bought it at Walmart. Half the wgt of that Le Creuset stuff. If it lasts forever and you buy it when your young are you still gonna want it when your in your 60's ?

Waring skillet was between 20-30 think it was. Good baking skillet for roasts 

Honored Contributor

I have  Lodge, Kirkland (Costco), and Le Cr

All different styles  (LG Dutch Oval, Round Stock, Everyday)

IMHO, I can not tell the difference between any of them.  Lodge and Kirkland being WAY cheaper.

They are all heavy, they all cook the same, they have all held up beautifully, they all stick to some extent (until I deglaze)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I could not in good conscience buy Le Creuset even though they look nice and probably do a very nice job.  I bought a Pioneer Woman enameled cast iron dutch oven/casserole recently and have no complaints.  It's worked fine and it's so pretty that I let it sit out on top of my stove.  Going forward, I might buy a larger PW piece but I'm also not opposed to other brands either - Lodge, Tramontina, Amazon Basics, etc.  And, @Moonlady , you can find blue! Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

I was given a Lodge 3 qt. Dutch Oven in blue as a gift.  It's great and pretty to boot. 

Respected Contributor

Staub is also a good brand of cast iron. I've had a few piec3s for several years. They lok andcperform as new.

Super Contributor

I’ve had a few different kinds but like Le Creuset the best. It’s heavy but lighter than the rest. The few pieces that I bought were from the Le Creuset Outlet store (I think that you can call them to see what they have on sale and they’ll ship, free after $75.00 purchase), Marshall’s, TJ Maxx, aTSV from QVC. I’ve never paid full price. Colorwise, I didn’t care. 

Respected Contributor

My first piece was a 5 qt. Staub probably 10 years ago, I've used it regularly and it has held up perfectly.

Honored Contributor

I bought my Staub when the Q sold it for 50 dollars or so, the enamel on the floor of the Dutch Oven is starting to wear, but the thing is probably 15 years old and gets used hard.