Trusted Contributor
On 3/11/2015 adoreqvc said:

Easy pay is wonderful if used with common sense and wisely, and if it something that can be afforded with no dire consequences down the road.

Unfortunately and quite sadly many people who do use easy pay can actually place them in the poor house if they are not really careful.

Unfortunately many elderly and other people have no healthy other outlets for interaction and recreation.

They may be very isolated from friends, family, neighbor, or perhaps have no one left at all.

They may also be very ill, depressed, desperate for any type of interactions, and very lonely.

In those very sad instances some people may unfortunately turn to shop at home channels and buy and speak on air, and feel as those those hosts and vendors are part of their family.

That may also turn many of these people into hoarders who shop just to shop, even if they have no room, or do not need the items.

Even a worse scenario is if they have no money to pay for the items in full, they are only adding larger credit and charge card bills with higher rates into their monthly expenses.

Many find themselves in very difficult situations and reach a point where they cannot continue to pay those quite high cc and charge card monthly minimum payments, and that can lead to disaster for them.

As their inability to pay mounts so does their shame which can lead to desperation.

If they do have families their families may have a rude awakening that this was happening.

If they don't have families to bail them out, they could find themselves out in the street and worse. This is so very sad!

Sometimes too much of a good thing unless diligence, and common sense are used, is not a good thing at all.

I completely understand what you're saying, Adore. I actually made a couple of purchases that I could have lived without just because they were on easy pay. I can see a bit of myself in some of the things you said. Your post was some good food for thought for me, so thank you.

Respected Contributor

For the last several days, I have followed this thread reading and listening to "both sides" of this discussion. I'm not trying to be an arbitrator but, I believe, the tension on this thread is with the choice of words used and the perception of those words.

Adore: You became upset when the poster used the word "undermine" in her response to you. You took it as a personal attack having to prove your point with long posts in caps and bold text with somewhat of a "lecturing" tone. What you posted is, certainly, not incorrect, but it's what the majority of people already know and understand, that being; there will always be some people who are compulsive, be it shopping, drinking, hoarding, etc.

After rereading the posts, I seriously don't believe, in my opinion, the poster had any intention of purposely trying to attack you. It was a statement, as I read it, to indicate that most people are aware that compulsive shoppers exist and the problems that can ensue. I'm probably not going to convince you of that, as we're all very passionate as to how we feel.

My intention with this post is to merely indicate that, sometimes, we read more into text than what was originally intended.

I also want to state that I truly enjoy this board and have used many of the recipes posted here. I've even posted a few myself..{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Trusted Contributor

I actually have an appointment with my Elder law office on Monday. I have never met the lawyer and only deal with the paralegal. We get to the business at hand and I leave. Your lawyer could be violating client/attorney confidentiality by telling such stories.

That Elder Attorney told us horrific true stories of what he encountered relative to elders and over spending, and having ghastly enormous credit card debts, Mortgage debts, and the like with no other means to continue to make their monthly financial obligations payments.

Respected Contributor
On 3/13/2015 debc said:
On 3/13/2015 GRACIE said:

Adoreqvc, point well made. There should be a balance on one spending weather you are close to retirement or new to the work place. QVC had designed it so that when they do offer easy pay, there will be those who have longed for certain items and may go overboard with their spending. It's a sale tactic. I like looking at "pretty things", especially jewelry. wHEN I did use I NO LONGER,e WHAT

It's ridiculous to hold QVC to task for easy pay. All shopping networks have some kind of easy pays. Credit cards are worse as they charge interest if not paid off. People who get advances on their paychecks, borrow money to buy something, the list goes on and on. None of them are responsible for people who over spend.

As many threads as she's been bashed in (think the veal thread) you'd think she'd have a little consideration before coming in this thread and removing any fun that there could have been.

DEBC---I would hope that you are wise enough to know that you cannot expect a pompous, self-important, arrogant, know-it-all prevaricator to behave like anything but what they are......it's like asking a cow not to be a cow !
Respected Contributor
On 3/13/2015 gkelly5744 said:
On 3/13/2015 debc said:

Wow, you are full of yourself here. Power? Seriously, you jump in with all this over an innocent easy pay thread that could have been fun. Sure there are compulsive shoppers and I guess no one should sell anything to save them.

And copy and paste off the internet isn't quite the same as personal experience. Well deserved, hardly.

Glad to see more posters are understanding....{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

And I am absolutely shocked at all the posters who don't (understand)------
Trusted Contributor

WELL - !!!

Super Contributor
On 3/14/2015 Danky said:
On 3/13/2015 debc said:
On 3/13/2015 GRACIE said:

Adoreqvc, point well made. There should be a balance on one spending weather you are close to retirement or new to the work place. QVC had designed it so that when they do offer easy pay, there will be those who have longed for certain items and may go overboard with their spending. It's a sale tactic. I like looking at "pretty things", especially jewelry. wHEN I did use I NO LONGER,e WHAT

It's ridiculous to hold QVC to task for easy pay. All shopping networks have some kind of easy pays. Credit cards are worse as they charge interest if not paid off. People who get advances on their paychecks, borrow money to buy something, the list goes on and on. None of them are responsible for people who over spend.

As many threads as she's been bashed in (think the veal thread) you'd think she'd have a little consideration before coming in this thread and removing any fun that there could have been.

DEBC---I would hope that you are wise enough to know that you cannot expect a pompous, self-important, arrogant, know-it-all prevaricator to behave like anything but what they are......it's like asking a cow not to be a cow !

Great post - you nailed it - {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Valued Contributor
On 3/14/2015 flickerbulb said:

I actually have an appointment with my Elder law office on Monday. I have never met the lawyer and only deal with the paralegal. We get to the business at hand and I leave. Your lawyer could be violating client/attorney confidentiality by telling such stories.

That Elder Attorney told us horrific true stories of what he encountered relative to elders and over spending, and having ghastly enormous credit card debts, Mortgage debts, and the like with no other means to continue to make their monthly financial obligations payments.

I agree!

Super Contributor
On 3/13/2015 debc said:

A little over the top adore. This is a food chat board, not a self help group. While some of us might need help I doubt your qualified to give it.

And between the bold, large print and jumping from all caps back and forth, your post is extremely annoying.

The all caps or all bold

is annoying and I think some posters do it thinking it makes their post more important. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Super Contributor
On 3/15/2015 jessa said:
On 3/13/2015 debc said:

A little over the top adore. This is a food chat board, not a self help group. While some of us might need help I doubt your qualified to give it.

And between the bold, large print and jumping from all caps back and forth, your post is extremely annoying.

The all caps or all bold

is annoying and I think some posters do it thinking it makes their post more important. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Which we all know, it doesn't. But in the bolded wonder's mind, she is SO important - LOL!!