Super Contributor
On 3/28/2015 Allegheny said:

Ham, Holiday Kielbasa, Egg Cheese, Hard Boiled Eggs, Grated Beets & Horseradish, Paska Bread and Potato Salad

No Halushki??? love your menu

Honored Contributor

Wow, it's next Sunday, time has gotten away from me this year. I haven't even given it any thought, no plans made at all, but will see what hubby thinks about it. We have a busy Friday and Saturday, so I don't think it will be very elaborate, but will try to make it special anyway. Or may just opt this year to go out.

"To each their own, in all things".
Valued Contributor

Applewood Smoked Kirkland ham with red currant glaze

roasted asparagus with olive oil and balsamic glaze

deviled eggs

potato salad

green salad with champagne pear vinaigrette

rolls

Daughter brings dessert

Respected Contributor
On 3/29/2015 misspammie said:
On 3/28/2015 Allegheny said:

Ham, Holiday Kielbasa, Egg Cheese, Hard Boiled Eggs, Grated Beets & Horseradish, Paska Bread and Potato Salad

No Halushki??? love your menu

Hi misspammie

Nope, no haluski for Easter though we eat it and pierogi during Lent. I just follow the menu my mom made. DH is over at the table now grinding walnut for nut rolls.

Honored Contributor
On 3/28/2015 Mothertrucker said:
On 3/28/2015 JeanLouiseFinch said:

Baked Ham<br /> Cheesy Potato Casserole<br /> Glazed Sweet Potato Slices<br /> Oven-roasted Fresh Asparagus Spears<br /> Strawberry Pretzel Jello<br /> Dinner Rolls or Croissants<br /> <br /> Still trying to decide about dessert.

This sounds so much like our Easter hen I was a kid...Heck, the pretzel Jello is kind of like dessert!..but my Mom used to always make a wine cake with sliced strawberries on the side or strawberry shortcake for dessert!

Yeah, I'm kind of a traditionalist when it comes to holiday meals. You're right about the pretzel Jello, but we've just always had it as a dinner accompaniment. This is pretty close to what my mom used to make, with just a little variation. Honestly we don't need any dessert at all, but since it's a holiday I feel like I should make one. I'd love to make coconut cake or carrot cake from scratch, but then I'd be eating it every day until it was gone.

Regular Contributor
On 3/28/2015 Bichongal1 said: We are going out to Easter Brunch at our community's golf club. There will be Rosemary prime rib, ham and many side dishes and breakfast items. Both my sons, my sister and 2 grandkids will be joining us. The club has an Easter egg hunt for the kids before brunch. Hopping for nice weather!
Haha! Had to laugh...I believe your typo (hopping instead of hoping) is quite appropriate for the holiday! :-)
Frequent Contributor
Hi iluvacop! LOL yes you are right it is appropriate. We are hoping and my grandkids are probably hopping for good weather. Here in NJ it has been really cold, rainy&snowy at times recently. Hope we all have a nice EasterSmiley Happy
Honored Contributor
On 3/28/2015 adoreqvc said:

We wish all our QVC pals very safe and happy holidays again this year, and as usual will be having our Easter Feast out back with a large gathering of relatives, friends, and neighbors.

Meats to be served:

A whole lamb seasoned with Greek spices and slowly turned on a split by hand

A whole Goat also seasoned and turned on a split also by hand

You are offering such a big variety for your party. This might sound impertinent but I ask in all seriousness, do you call a butcher shop and tell them you need a whole goat and a whole lamb? Our area is semi rural and we do have some old fashioned butcher shops, but everything I see is cut up into steaks and chops.

Respected Contributor
On 3/29/2015 AuntG said:
On 3/28/2015 adoreqvc said:

We wish all our QVC pals very safe and happy holidays again this year, and as usual will be having our Easter Feast out back with a large gathering of relatives, friends, and neighbors.

You are offering such a big variety for your party. This might sound impertinent but I ask in all seriousness, do you call a butcher shop and tell them you need a whole goat and a whole lamb? Our area is semi rural and we do have some old fashioned butcher shops, but everything I see is cut up into steaks and chops.

Hi AuntG,

" This might sound impertinent "........ No offense taken AuntG, because sharing knowledge of different cultures is a wonderful gift from one to another.

To a non Greek who is not familiar with this type of food gathering family oriented Easter feast event, it may seem like a large spread, but for many Greeks and non Greeks it is normal.

We are all used to entertaining for very large groups, and feeding them well either at home, or in a Restaurant catered by Greek catering.

Either way we all always enjoy seeing relations, family, friends, and neighbors during the large festive holiday gatherings.

Greek people are extremely well known for their hospitality, large variety of foods, and very large gatherings, for events and non events.

Many Greek and non Greek members on these bb's are also familiar with the type of Greek gatherings I reference. (Same for many Italians I know).

Many also lived/traveled here in the U.S. and in Greece and personally attended these large Holiday festivities, and enjoyed them immensely.

Other Greeks and Greek Americans as children usually attended and enjoyed them too, and passed on those preferences and traditions to our families, and so forth.

Family, food, and enjoyment of Greek heritage and traditions means everything, and is passed on from generation to generation.

In Greece many of my family members spent long vacations on family owned properties, and many of them also had businesses where we had the best livestock and other foods available for sale to the general public, so we were all aware from quite a young age that what was raised was also consumed, and offered for sale.

Same in Texas. Farm raised and free range is always available, and so is organic.

We always hosted and attended large gatherings with a rich abundance of food variety.

New York City and New York State also have the best access to organic free range farms and livestock.

You call to place your order in advance to your personal preferences.

Many farms carry a huge variety which includes beef, pork, lamb, goat, poultry and some specialty items all Government inspected for legal sale. They also offer different types of daily milk and cheeses for sale, as well as other goods from everything they raise on their free range grass fed organic properties.

The same can be said for Greek butchers in NY who also choose their free range grass fed organic livestock from their Government inspected sources, and have them delivered fresh, and then they personally prepare the orders according to their clientele, and their preferences.

My parents always bought their meats in this fashion as did my relatives, and many times we would share larger orders according to our family needs and what type of celebration gathering event we were/are planning to have.

Living in NY has its advantages, and disadvantages.

Everything is quite expensive, and N.Y. is listed on Bankrate and other web sites as one of the highest cost of living States in the nation.

Nothing compares to the pace, excitement, ambience, and vast delights which N.Y. offers as it has almost everything one could desire, including 24/7 home delivery right to your door.

Also N.Y.C is truly the city that never sleeps, and that is a very big advantage.

AungG you and others may find this information I included below very interesting reading, about goat and lamb meat and its consumption:

Goat meat and lamb meat among other types of meats are so in demand during Easter Holidays around the world, and it is wonderful that it can be purchased legally and easily. QVC also carries lamb roasts.

] As of 2011 the number of goats slaughtered in the United States has doubled every 10 years for three decades, rising to nearly one million annually.[11] While in the past goat meat in the West was confined to ethnic markets, it can now be found in a few upscale restaurants and purveyors,[6] especially in cities such as New York and San Francisco.[7]Brady, Texas has held its Annual World Championship BBQ Goat Cook-Off annually since 1973.[12]

Also here is more basic information as Goat meat is eaten globally, and has been consumed as a favorite in many countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goat_meat

Happy Holidays AungG.....enjoy!

Honored Contributor
On 3/29/2015 Karlakaye said:

Applewood Smoked Kirkland ham with red currant glaze

roasted asparagus with olive oil and balsamic glaze

deviled eggs

potato salad

green salad with champagne pear vinaigrette

rolls

Daughter brings dessert

This is the best ham!