Respected Contributor
On 3/31/2015 ciao_bella said:

Hello ladies... Like many of you, I too have decided to have mac and cheese with my Easter ham this year. Over the years, I've tried different types of mac and cheese without a real favorite. Would love if you would consider sharing your recipe. We like a creamy mac and cheese that doesn't get dried out when baked. Thanks in advance.. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

The key to creamy Mac N Cheese is using a variety of shredded by hand real cheeses, and also making your own béchamel sauce because that will give the creaminess you crave.

Then boiling whatever pasta you use....We love elbows with the twist so the grooves hold the cheese, and then we assemble the mac & cheese, and add buttered bread crumbs on top.

Then it is baked in the oven until lightly browned and the cheese has melted well.

It can also be served straight from the stove top if you prefer no buttered bread drums...and as for the breadcrumbs they can be panko, redo flavored or regular bread drums, and some people use crushed corn flakes although we don't.

We have many favorites through the years, but below is a new favorite which is very creamy and delicious...and it was a big hit when I served it for a large gathering.

http://www.chow.com/recipes/30436-homerooms-classic-macaroni-and-cheese

Respected Contributor

We'll have about 16-20 family and friends. I'm cooking two hams and a peach cobbler, and will get some good rolls. Everyone else is bringing mac-n-cheese or potato salad, deviled eggs, vegetables, tomato cucumber salad, some kind of chocolate dessert. I don't really set a menu, it's tradition that we do meat/bread/one dessert, and everyone else brings whatever sides they want. We always end up with a good variety of delicious food!

Respected Contributor
On 3/31/2015 vermint said:

We'll have about 16-20 family and friends. I'm cooking two hams and a peach cobbler, and will get some good rolls. Everyone else is bringing mac-n-cheese or potato salad, deviled eggs, vegetables, tomato cucumber salad, some kind of chocolate dessert. I don't really set a menu, it's tradition that we do meat/bread/one dessert, and everyone else brings whatever sides they want. We always end up with a good variety of delicious food!

I love this type of gathering! it is so much fun to try different thing that others bring...and this way all the "bases are covered" so to speak!

Contributor

my buffett menu for 14 people:

- ham

- grilled chicken

- pineapple stuffing

- macaroni salad

- baked beans

- brocolli salad

- jello pretzel salad

- corn casserole

- rolls

- cake, cookies

I always worry that I will not have enough! LOL

Regular Contributor

@Jeanlouise, how do you make the glazed sweet potato slices. Sounds yummy!

Respected Contributor

Ladies, don't forget your butter lamb! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I'm not the least bit Polish but have extended family who are. Was at Polish Market in Detroit this weekend, picked up the butter lamb, some fresh pierogi and poppy seed roll!

Nobody up here knows what poppy seed is. It's tragic I tell ya. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Snowpuppy...I'm "Up North" also, and we do indeed know what poppy seed is! DH makes the rolls every year for Christmas, and they are big at all of his family gatherings (they are Hungarian). It's very good!!!

Valued Contributor
On 3/31/2015 adoreqvc said:
On 3/31/2015 ciao_bella said:

Hello ladies... Like many of you, I too have decided to have mac and cheese with my Easter ham this year. Over the years, I've tried different types of mac and cheese without a real favorite. Would love if you would consider sharing your recipe. We like a creamy mac and cheese that doesn't get dried out when baked. Thanks in advance.. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

The key to creamy Mac N Cheese is using a variety of shredded by hand real cheeses, and also making your own béchamel sauce because that will give the creaminess you crave.

Then boiling whatever pasta you use....We love elbows with the twist so the grooves hold the cheese, and then we assemble the mac & cheese, and add buttered bread crumbs on top.

Then it is baked in the oven until lightly browned and the cheese has melted well.

It can also be served straight from the stove top if you prefer no buttered bread drums...and as for the breadcrumbs they can be panko, redo flavored or regular bread drums, and some people use crushed corn flakes although we don't.

We have many favorites through the years, but below is a new favorite which is very creamy and delicious...and it was a big hit when I served it for a large gathering.

http://www.chow.com/recipes/30436-homerooms-classic-macaroni-and-cheese

Sounds like a nice recipe, Adore. The béchamel sauce is that same way I make scalloped potatoes. I was going to make potatoes this year, but maybe I will make this mac & cheese recipe. Does this make a good amount? We are not having that many- around 12 people.

Edited to add: I now see the yield on this recipe. Serves 6. Does it really serve 6, or more?

Valued Contributor
On 3/29/2015 Karlakaye said:

Applewood Smoked Kirkland ham with red currant glaze

roasted asparagus with olive oil and balsamic glaze

deviled eggs

potato salad

green salad with champagne pear vinaigrette

rolls

Daughter brings dessert

Karla, is the Kirkland ham from Costco? The red currant glaze sounds intriguing.

Esteemed Contributor
On 3/31/2015 alicedee said:
<br />

Ladies, don't forget your butter lamb! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I'm not the least bit Polish but have extended family who are. Was at Polish Market in Detroit this weekend, picked up the butter lamb, some fresh pierogi and poppy seed roll!

Nobody up here knows what poppy seed is. It's tragic I tell ya. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Snowpuppy...I'm "Up North" also, and we do indeed know what poppy seed is! DH makes the rolls every year for Christmas, and they are big at all of his family gatherings (they are Hungarian). It's very good!!!

You'll have to tell me where to find poppyseed filling up here! I've tried Meijer for canned Solo, came up empty. A few small, local grocers, came up empty.

A friend recommended a small Italian grocer in TC, came up empty there, too!

In Detroit I can find poppyseed in many grocers downriver.

Respected Contributor

I finally had to start buying my poppy seeds in bulk from Penzey's -they keep for a long time in the fridge- can I freeze them, I wonder?