Valued Contributor

YAY---thanks Mousiegirl!!! I have never tried this ham before. We love everything Kirkland and just had a feeling it would be yummy!

KK

Honored Contributor
Wow you all feast at Easter.We just do turkey,stuffing,potatoes ,corn and rolls.i especially like the dinners some of you are having with many guests.we are left with just the two of us now,
Super Contributor

Once again, I begged my aunt (turning 90 next month) to let me host the holiday dinner since this year her grandchildren have spouses or significant others and she has her first great-grandchild. Once again I was turned down flat! Everyone is bringing something so it won't be a huge burden on her but she has a really tiny house. Oh, well -

One of her daughters-in-law is making a ham and the other a turkey. Side dishes are being brought by others. I was assigned sweet potato casserole as usual, cranberry/almond bread and pizzelles. Since it is also Passover, I'm making a brisket (DH is Jewish), and an angel pie made with crushed matzoh instead of crackers.

Valued Contributor

Small simple Easter dinner...baked ham, newly found online recipe & already tried roasted asparagus & cherry tomoates/sea salt & fresh ground pepper with parm cheese on top then a balsamic vinegar reduction to use on top, Deviled eggs, pan fried potatoes & onions (olive oil/salt & pepper) and Ina Garten's Lemon Loaf Cake for dessert! Iced Tea & coffee!

Esteemed Contributor

I never cook at Easter. A quiche & salad sounds good this year.

Honored Contributor
On 3/28/2015 adoreqvc said:

We wish all our QVC pals very safe and happy holidays again this year, and as usual will be having our Easter Feast out back with a large gathering of relatives, friends, and neighbors.

Our Greek Easter feast this year is on Sunday, April 12th, and will consist of the following traditional Greek Easter foods, and we have already sent out invitations for 40 guests.

(We usually begin preparing many foods about one week in advance for items which can be prepared ahead of time).

We prepare the meats outside in the outdoor kitchen area, and begin in time so it is ready to be served about 2 pm when the Easter feast begins. (If using hand turned spits then the relatives arrive and help to prepare the splits, meats, and begin turning them by hand).

The men prefer hand turning rather than spits which use electricity, and I think it is to sit and converse and enjoy their heritage and traditions, as their ancestors also did).

Meats to be served:

A whole lamb seasoned with Greek spices and slowly turned on a split by hand

A whole Goat also seasoned and turned on a split also by hand

Two large Chateaubriand's will be smoked in the smoker

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Easter Eggs:

(Prepared the day before the Easter Feast).

Dyed Red Easter Eggs using Red dye made in Greece is scattered around the back yard for the children to find in Easter baskets with goodies, and placed in deep bowls for all to enjoy as we toast and crack the Easter eggs, and say Hrestos Anesti, Alethos Anesti....Christ has risen!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Breads:

(Phillip and I will bake 5 Greek Easter Christ Breads one day in advance, which are called Greek Christopsomo).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Appetizers:

Home made Greek grape leaves rolled with meat and rice filling called Dolmathes (Made in advance).

Greek fried meatballs called Keftethes (Made in advance).

(The Tzatziki, Taramousalata, and Skordalia spreads are made 2 days in advance so the flavors marry in the refrigerator).

Greek spreads such as Tzatziki which is a Greek cucumber garlic yogurt spread

Greek Caviar Spread called Taramousalata which is a fish roe spread

Greek Skordalia which is a garlic potato spread

(Greek Saganaki which is the flaming Kasseri cheese is made out back as soon as everything is on the table and guests are seated).

First prayers said is our Greek Easter Prayer that Christ Has Risen, and we give many thanks for all our food, and gathered guests, and other blessings in general, also blessing the deceased in Heaven.

Condiments:

Two types of Greek Olives, Kalamata and Greek Green olives stuffed with feta cheese

Home made Greek hot pickles and peppers

Sliced Greek Feta cheese, sliced Greek Kasseri cheese

Greek Salads:

Greek villager's salads, both with and without anchovies.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Sides prepared the same day as Easter feast.:

Roasted Greek Lemon Potatoes

Greek buttered rice

Sautéed spinach with garlic

Sliced Beets

------------------------------------------------------------------

Desserts:

Baked Greek Goodies
(Traditional Baklava and Diples are both made in advance).

Desserts will be numerous and all home made prepared by my Phillip, and myself which will consist of the following below, and a few can be prepared well in advance.

A few trays each of Greek Baklava Cheesecake, Traditional Baklava, Galaktoboureko which is a baked Greek Custard Pie with Syrup, Greek Diples which are a traditional Greek Easter pastry with honey.

Greek Cookies:
(All Greek cookies are made well in advance and stay on the table covered until ready to serve.).

My beloved deceased Mom's decadent recipes for her Greek Sugar Cookies dusted in the powdered sugar with nuts inside called Kourambiethes, and Greek honey cookies with walnuts called Melomakarona.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Refreshments:

Drinks are Greek wines red and white, Beer, for those non drivers, and plenty of Sparkling Water, Iced tea, Lemonade, etc.

This will probably be the last Greek celebration event we host for a while, as we are getting our travel itinerary prepared, for our next travel adventure abroad again, and are really looking forward to it.

P.S. Goldie we hope you are feeling better these days, and also enjoy your Greek Easter feast with your Greek family and relatives...... Kalo Pascha my dear friend.....which in English translates to Happy Easter".

Again Happy Easter, and Happy Holidays to all of our QVC pals....Enjoy!!!!!!

A Blessed Easter to you and your family.

Your Easter menu sounds wonderful. I happen to love Greek food and Greek people. My husband and I love to visit Greece to see the beautiful country and beaches and to eat.

We celebrate two Easter's at our house. My husband is orthodox so his Easter is April 12 also. He prepares a whole lamb and I make the trimmings. I have never tasted goat meat, but my father used to tell us that he ate it a lot as a child.

This coming Sunday is Italian Easter at our home. We serve leg of lamb, ham, home made from scratch spaghetti and meatballs with homemade sauce. There are always tons of vegetables and fruits and desserts as they are provided by my family.

I will diet in May!

Respected Contributor

Spiral ham, cheesy potatoes, cranberries, green beans, fruit salad, homemade bread. Cupcakes for dessert.

Esteemed Contributor
On 3/29/2015 Allegheny said:
On 3/29/2015 misspammie said:
On 3/28/2015 Allegheny said:

Ham, Holiday Kielbasa, Egg Cheese, Hard Boiled Eggs, Grated Beets & Horseradish, Paska Bread and Potato Salad

No Halushki??? love your menu

Hi misspammie

Nope, no haluski for Easter though we eat it and pierogi during Lent. I just follow the menu my mom made. DH is over at the table now grinding walnut for nut rolls.

Ladies, don't forget your butter lamb! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I'm not the least bit Polish but have extended family who are. Was at Polish Market in Detroit this weekend, picked up the butter lamb, some fresh pierogi and poppy seed roll!

Nobody up here knows what poppy seed is. It's tragic I tell ya. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Respected Contributor
On 3/30/2015 Carmie said:
On 3/28/2015 adoreqvc said:

We wish all our QVC pals very safe and happy holidays again this year, and as usual will be having our Easter Feast out back with a large gathering of relatives, friends, and neighbors.

<br />

A Blessed Easter to you and your family.

Your Easter menu sounds wonderful. I happen to love Greek food and Greek people. My husband and I love to visit Greece to see the beautiful country and beaches and to eat.

We celebrate two Easter's at our house. My husband is orthodox so his Easter is April 12 also. He prepares a whole lamb and I make the trimmings. I have never tasted goat meat, but my father used to tell us that he ate it a lot as a child.

This coming Sunday is Italian Easter at our home. We serve leg of lamb, ham, home made from scratch spaghetti and meatballs with homemade sauce. There are always tons of vegetables and fruits and desserts as they are provided by my family.

I will diet in May!

Hi Carmie,

Thank you for your very sweet informative reply, and many thanks for the Easter blessings too.

I hope as you and your family celebrate both your Catholic and Greek Orthodox Easters, that all of you are blessed, and enjoy your feasts honoring Christ's resurrection.

Lamb and Goat is usually the traditional Mediterranean choice for Easter Celebrations, but the pig can also be chosen and spit roasted.

Your father is correct goat meat many people eat, and it is delicious. It can also be delivered via internet mail order if there are no organic grass fed farms near you, or a butcher who can special order it, and prepare it to your preference.

It was wonderful reading your reply Carmie, and since your husband is Greek Orthodox he must recall from very early times in his life, very large Greek gatherings for events and non events, because that is just how Greek's usually celebrate.

We don't need an event to have a large gathering......we do it "just because we want to see our loved ones and friends again". We invite all those who mean the most to us and share our Greek heritage and vast array of foods with them.

Easter blessings again, and I hope you all enjoy your dual Easter celebrations.

Respected Contributor

Hello ladies... Like many of you, I too have decided to have mac and cheese with my Easter ham this year. Over the years, I've tried different types of mac and cheese without a real favorite. Would love if you would consider sharing your recipe. We like a creamy mac and cheese that doesn't get dried out when baked. Thanks in advance.. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!