Honored Contributor

Even completely cooled foods with a tomato base like pasta sauce or a soup containing tomato juices or pieces, will stain Lock and Lock. If hot when put in, the stain is darker. 

They claim they won't stain, but that isn't the reality of the what happens. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, but I still like them. I try to put tomato based products in Pyrex storage containers.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG  Whatever you do, keep the receipts.  I had one stain from spaghetti sauce and I could never get the stain out.  I also had one lose one of its locks (I did not keep the receipt so I could not return).  Lesson learned.  Other than that I really can't complain.  Unfortunately, I do not have enough storage room so I have my initial green tops and then I bought a lavender top set (my favorite color).  That is all I can store.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do lock & lock's stain?

[ Edited ]

Many years ago I sold Tupperware, so I had a lot of it!  My MIL told me that if you wet it and put it out in the sun, tomato stains disappear.  And it worked.  I've been doing that for decades with all kinds of plastic containers, so I highly recommend giving it a try.  I never had anything that was permanently stained.  (Once I did lose a small lid because a wind came and blew it off my terrace!  But other than that, putting stained containers out in the sun worked like a charm every time.)  :-)

I haven't noticed any staining at all with Lock and Lock, btw.  I gave away most of my Tupperware when I discovered L&L, and now it's what I use nearly all the time.  I love everything about it, and I've never had any issues ever.

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

Many years ago I sold Tupperware, so I had a lot of it!  My MIL told me that if you wet it and put it out in the sun, tomato stains disappear.  And it worked.  I've been doing that for decades with all kinds of plastic containers, so I highly recommend giving it a try.  I never had anything that was permanently stained.  (Once I did lose a small lid because a wind came and blew it off my terrace!  But other than that, putting stained containers out in the sun worked like a charm every time.)  :-)

I haven't noticed any staining at all with Lock and Lock, btw.  I gave away most of my Tupperware when I discovered L&L, and now it's what I use nearly all the time.  I love everything about it, and I've never had any issues ever.

@NYC Susan, we've never had an staining on our L&L either, and we put everything in them. We don't, however, reheat in the microwave. We do put them in the dishwaser.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Some of mine have stained and they were not used in the microwave.  Most recently I stored some leftover almond milk in one and it stained.  Was refrigerated; not heated.  I still love this brand and have many sets.  I use them every day.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I've been using the stuff forever, and I've not had one stain at all. I should mention, thought, that I never reheat in them in the microwave.

The same with me.  I highly recommend L & L.