Frequent Contributor

Mine have not stained. Like some of the others, I always let my food cool before putting it into the lock & lock. I also never use plastic containers in the microwave. (Rarely microwave anything anyways.)

Super Contributor

I have 2 sets of lock & lockA 4 piece bowl set, and a 5 piece clear square nestable set. I like them, but I'm done with lock & lock, because I've never received an answer to a question on the Facebook QVC site(which I'm now banned from posting in) about some microwave damage to the bottom of one of the square pieces. I posted pictures. No one at QVC or lock & lock ever replied.  I think some of the claims that are made on this storage ware are over exaggerated. They may not stain, but I do know they retain odors. I had some knock off pieces I found at a local discount store. They look and perform just like lock & lock, at a fraction of the price. They like lock & lock are also made in Vietnam. Probably at the same factory. The picture i included is the largest piece of a rectangle set, I have 2 other pieces that matchIMG_20160520_211409.jpg

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, that is just the nature of that type of plastic.  It will stain, pit, peel, and ultimately break down if used in the microwave.

Why they recommend people use it in the microwave - I have no idea.  But I wish they wouldn't.

Contributor

Yes, they stain.  If you have tomato based food or oily the plastic will bubble inside and the red stain will be there too, if used to reheat in microwave.  There is no way around this bubbling or staining.  I watched a UTube regarding this matter and they suggest to rub inside with half cut fresh lemon and then squeeze some of the juice in bottom and then put into the sun.  I will try this as soon as Summer comes to Michigan.  It's a shame that the vendor and host don't mention this in their demo's, if they have, I apologize. When the top can't be removed easily then take a flat head screw driver and put between top and bottom and slightly move the tool to the up - left or  right, while slight turning.  It works everytime for me.  The lock n lock ingredients were apparently too hot to secure the lid or maybe frozen in the time from the freezer.  My collection is every shape and size and we learn as we grow, good luck all!

Respected Contributor

Mine did!  Found them to be cheap.  Easy to crack and stains start from day 1.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Do lock & lock's stain?

[ Edited ]

The only thing that has ever stained my L&L has been cut-up watermelon.  That particular container has been used many times since then and put  thru the dishwasher many times, yet the reddish stain remains.

I don't put any tomato-based food in L&L, nor do I ever use it in the microwave, so the chilled storage of watermelon is the only long-lasting stain that I've discovered through years of use.

So......it probably doesn't matter what the temperature of the food is when placed in L&L.  Certain foods WILL stain the container, I guess, and not just tomato products.

Honored Contributor

I've found that I can put tomato-based foods in them as long as I make sure the food is TOTALLY cooled before putting it in there.    I would imagine that if you put such items in for long-term storage, however, it would probably be a different story.

What I've done a ton of times over the years was, when making a large quanty of either a stew or chili, I cool it first of course.  Then I put it into serving (1 or 2-whatever is preferred) size Lock & Lock containers and then freeze.   After a day or two I pop it out and vacuum seal the blocks of stew/chili/etc for long-term storage.

For regular refrigerator storage for a somewhat short term (i.e. using the food before it goes bad), as long as it was cooled first I've never had a single one stain.

Needless to say, as I've said here many times, I don't put L&L in the microwave.  They shouldn't be promoting that.  This is the same type of plastic many of us knew from Tupperware bck in the day and it will stain and peel if put in the microwave.   They lose a little credibility with me when they promote using it in the microwave.   I have some borosilicate glass L&L, as well as other glass/ceramic/stoneware, products that I use for microwaving.  That way everything stays pristime.  

Honored Contributor

I do not microwave in them.  Ever.  Just fine after all these years.  My only issue is some of the tops are hard to get snapped, on some square ones.  The round ones have always been OK. 

New Contributor

Put my saffron rice to heat in teh microwave becuae I was too lazy to put it in a bowl. Container is now a yellow shade. So yes, they WILL stain if putting in microwave

Respected Contributor

Yes, they do.