Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Think It's Safe to Make Meatloaf in a Slow Cooker?

I did this years ago.  I won't do it again bc cooking the meat this way changed the texture of the meatloaf which I really didn't like.  

Respected Contributor

@Sooner  I have had the Fix It and Forget It Cookbook Collection, paperback edition 2005,  by Phyllis Pellham Good and Dawn J. Rarick, which I purchased at Sears in their cooking department many years ago.  It is still for sale if you check online, at a very reasonable price, much less than the original list price of $59.99.

There are around fifteen recipes for meat loaf, most of which I've used successfully.  

Plus many other recipes--probably around 1,400 or in that neighborhood.  Some seem almost the same, but as you read and use the book you will find they are variations on themes in the different categories.

If you want to get more use over all of your Crock Pot (c) I recommend this book highly.  Wide variety of recipes and tips for all sorts of slow cooking, submitted by the authors' readers.

By the way, there are no photographs in this book, but I didn't find the need for them since there isn't anything "exotic" included that necessitated that.

Happy Sunday and happy slow cooking.

Honored Contributor

I've done it many times and had no problem.

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

I've done it many times and had no problem.

Except the time you made a butter burger @RetRN.

Honored Contributor

love making mine in the oven.

i like to make it a bit crispy and browned on the outside.....could never get it that way in a crockpot.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

i always use a meatloaf pan....with the insert...to drain away the fat.....

Honored Contributor

I have never done this, but my "rule" is to use a meat thermometer for just about everything, especially ground meat dishes and any form of chicken.  165 degrees is what I aim for.  I'm probably overcooking a few things but I'm a food poisoning fanatic.  One bout of e coli from raw bean sprouts will just about swear you off of food.  

Honored Contributor

I make my meat loaf (2 lbs.) either in a regular oven (350 pre-heated for 55-60 min.) or in the Ninja 4 in 1 cooker.  When I make it in the Ninja I use the oven feature and when it's done turn it to warm for a short time until the other lunch/dinner food is ready to serve.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~