Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Think It's Safe to Make Meatloaf in a Slow Cooker?

Cook it......if you worry about anything - how about chicken in a crock?   Meat  just needs more time = 4 or 6 or 8 hours depending on what you're cooking.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fthunt wrote:

Cook it......if you worry about anything - how about chicken in a crock?   Meat  just needs more time = 4 or 6 or 8 hours depending on what you're cooking.

@fthunt  I'm not even to thinking about chicken yet!  I know we did that when they first came out (in the dawn of time) and do wonder how we survived!  LOL!!!

Does any one cook meatloaf on high?  I could Google, but I trust people here way more than what I read on the internet.  Well, SOME people!  LOL!!!

THANKS SO MUCH TO ALL WHO HAVE RESPONDED!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner.  Just think of all the chicken dishes made in the crockpot.  I even make chicken & dressing, and I haven't died yet.  It's hot enough to prevent the growth of bacteria.  The thing I don't like about the thought of cooking meatloaf is it swimming in all of the grease.  I'd have to use a trivet of some sort.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sooner.  Just think of all the chicken dishes made in the crockpot.  I even make chicken & dressing, and I haven't died yet.  It's hot enough to prevent the growth of bacteria.  The thing I don't like about the thought of cooking meatloaf is it swimming in all of the grease.  I'd have to use a trivet of some sort.

@Kachina624  OK.  I'm getting there!  LOL!!!  But grease won't be a problem.  We get 90 percent lean and I'll be sure to grease the bottom of the pan.

Honored Contributor

Sure, I've made it in the crockpot several times.

Honored Contributor

I know it's 'safe' and prepare my meatloaf quite frequently this way, however some slow cookers run hotter than others so prepare the bottom by placing on balled rolls of aluminum foil.

Respected Contributor

Why would meatloaf be any different than say, Ribs, or sausage ???

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

Why would meatloaf be any different than say, Ribs, or sausage ???

@BeccaLou  Because meatloaf is made of ground beef and being thicker than sausage usually would be, would take longer to heat up and be longer in the "danger zone" of when bacteria is most likely to grow. 

Meat loaf is made of ground meat, which has a much higher likelihood of being contaminated than non-ground cuts because many pieces of meat are used and more surfaces are exposed to become contaminated.

Ribs too are thinner than meatloaf and the bone will help to heat up the meat to a safe temperature quicker. 

Respected Contributor

my wife has made meatloaf in crockpot many times and it came out great . it was atleast a 2 pounds of bigger.

Respected Contributor

I don’t have a slow cooker, but I smoke them on the grill all the time at 300 degrees. 

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*