Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Remember Cafeterias?

@PA Mom-mom 

Wow, that is an automat, technically.  I didn't know they were outside of NYC.   Learn something new everyday.

Respected Contributor

@Infinite Mom 47 

I forgot all about Furr's.   Their food was so good too.   I went there a lot in my college days in Lubbock.  A true West Texas gem.

And we have one here in Santa Fe.   We went in for lunch one day when we first moved here and it was OK but not as good as 50 years ago.  Smiley Wink     I think we'll try it again.

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal   We had Wyatt's in Houston too.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We had one downtown a long time ago. Schentzuals I'm not sure that's spelled right, but as a young girl, we went one time and the tray was so heavy I thought I'd drop it before we got to the table.  So heavy for a young girl.  

Adding that in later years, there was the Swevden House.  Those were fun, and we seemed to have a variety over the years as I recall.  The Ponderosa was always good too.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

When we lived in Louisville, KY my aunts would take me to the Blue Boar cafeteria as a treat (the cafeterias were all over Louisville). The food was wonderful! I can't remember my parents going there (they took us kids to White Castle lol). The Blue Boars all closed over time. 

Here inTexas, Luby's is still around, and they're good. I have the Luby's Cookbook they put out some years ago, and I've enjoyed cooking from it.