Honored Contributor

THAT Kitchen Disaster That Stands Out In Your Mind?

Is there a time you made something or did something  that you look back on and think "HOW did I do THAT?"?????

When we were barely married,  I made Baked Alaska for my dad and step mother who were visiting from 3 hours away.

I knew the end product I wanted.  I don't know where I found out about that dessert.

I got all the ingredients,  and had just put everything together, but didn't think to bake the pie shell first since I hadn't actually had Baked Alaska until the merengue on the ice cream pie came out of the oven!!!!

So, we had ice cream, merengue, chocolate sauce,  a cherry, and raw pastry!!!!

Frequent Contributor

Re: THAT Kitchen Disaster That Stands Out In Your Mind?

Newlywed, first time making gravy was so lumpy that I used my hand mixer to make it smooth...it worked, ha!!

Respected Contributor

I decided to try a meatless meatloaf w/ground vegetables. It was awful. LOL 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG -

The worst I ever made was a gluten free tuna noodle casserole I was making for my sister.

How perfectly awful it was, really inedible! 

It was the thought that counts lol?!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I had prepared lasagna for my boyfriend and when I pulled it out I dropped it onto the oven door, destroying both the meal and the door in the process. Needless to say, it wasn't meant to be 

Esteemed Contributor

The first five years of marriage, I made an ample supply of pumpkin rolls from scratch during holidays and freezed them. I did it because hubs loved his mom's pumpkin rolls and liked taking the rolls to holiday work events. 

Have you ever made pumpkin rolls? What a mess! Especially in a small kitchen. The clean up took forever and the rolls took up too much room in the fridge freezer.  

The last year I made the rolls I was so tired during the clean up. I had to get up early for work the next morning. I was crying and hubs was in bed. Then it hit me -- MIL was a stay-at-home mom and had a big kitchen and all the time in the world. Plus, hubs wanted those *&^%# rolls but didn't know his way around a kitchen or kitchen sink. I declared the next morning that was the last year I made pumpkin rolls. He shrugged and said ... okay.

Lesson learned.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

Carmelizing sugar for flan.

DH's mother came from Spain.  Thought I could handle this as I baked from scratch (including pie crusts).

Used ever pot, pan, skillet owned...even threw some out as they couldn't be cleaned.  DH came home from work and got it right the 1st time.

Denise
Respected Contributor

I was making a big pot of split pea & ham soup in the largest saucepan in a set of old Lo-Heet cookeware that my mom had for many, many years that still had a handle on it.  As I was lifting the full pot of soup off of the stove, the handle broke & spilled pea soup all over the top of our gas range & it leaked down thru the burners & into the oven.  It took hours to clean the top of the stove, the burner assemblies & the oven & had to find something else to have for dinner.  A few years later, I had the kitchen remodelled & there was still soup on the sides of the stove between the cabinets when they pulled the big old double oven type range out to do the remodel. 

The very next day after the great soup disaster, I went out to the Bon Marche & bought a new set of Belgique stainless steel cookware with riveted handles!

Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

I was making a big pot of split pea & ham soup in the largest saucepan in a set of old Lo-Heet cookeware that my mom had for many, many years that still had a handle on it.  As I was lifting the full pot of soup off of the stove, the handle broke & spilled pea soup all over the top of our gas range & it leaked down thru the burners & into the oven.  It took hours to clean the top of the stove, the burner assemblies & the oven & had to find something else to have for dinner.  A few years later, I had the kitchen remodelled & there was still soup on the sides of the stove between the cabinets when they pulled the big old double oven type range out to do the remodel. 

The very next day after the great soup disaster, I went out to the Bon Marche & bought a new set of Belgique stainless steel cookware with riveted handles!

@aubnwa01 You gave me chills!!!  It is a miracle that you weren't terribly scalded!  Your angel was there with you that day!

Honored Contributor

I have quite a few that stick out in my mind.  

When I was a teenager, I decided to make a sausage sandwich.  The grease from the pan caught on fire.  The flame got really high and  I panicked and threw a glass of water  on it.  The grease exploded all over our newly remodeled kitchen with custom made cabinets.  It ruined the walls too.  I thought my mother would ground me forever.  To add insult to injury, it was on Good Friday when as a Catholic, it is forbidden to eat meat.  I forgot.

The next time was in the 1980's  when I stored paper bags in the oven in the broiler pan. Needless to say, the bags caught on fire and my small kitchen filled up with black smoke.  My eyes were burning and I couldn't see and got disoriented and could find my way out of the kitchen.  I had the pan with flames in my hands and finally found the kitchen sink and turned the water on and extinguished the flames before I burned down my house.  I honestly thought I was going to die from smoke inhalation that time.  It was scary.

Another time, also in the 80's, I placed a small pan of water with a few eggs in it to boil and forgot about it.  The water cooked out of the pan.  When I noticed, I picked up the pan and attempted to take it to the sink.  The eggs exploded into my face when I moved the pan.  My eyelids and my cheeks were burnt from the hot yolks.

When my now 15 year old granddaughter was around two or three, She wrapped herself in a blanket and was laying on my kitchen floor. I never saw her and was carrying a large platter of fried chicken to the table and ran into her.  She caused me to fall.  I didn't want to land on her or burn her with the hot chicken, so somehow I threw the platter away from  us.  I had splintered glass and greasy chicken all over the kitchen.  Luckily, neither one of us got hurt.

There's more too.  I think I have spent more than half of my life in the kitchen.