Honored Contributor

Here, growing up we had a long standing art deco building that was an S & W cafeteria.  I used to go there on Saturday night as part of spending every weekend with my grandmother.

They had some good things.  I liked the way they grilled a steak although usually I got the roast beef, mashed potatoes and a salad (their roquefort salad dressing was wonderful. I can't remember the vegetables, but I remember oil and vinegar on cucumbers and onions and congealed salads on a lettuce leaf which it seems few homes do today.

I couldn't understand why anyone would get garlic bread on a saucer (cold), Amazing egg custard pie, chocolate pudding, and strawberry shortcake.

The historic S&W Cafeteria building in downtown Asheville, North ...

CHARLOTTE EATS: S & W Cafeteria **HALL OF FAME EATERY**

Do you have any memories?

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Remember Cafeterias?

I remember cafeterias in high school; in one building across from my office but none in my neighborhood.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

When I was a child, we had relatives in Ithaca NY.  Ithaca had a cafeteria called the " Home Dairy ," and I loved it.  It was also a bakery, and whenever we were in town visiting, I would beg to go there. There was something about filling your tray with what you wanted that thrilled me as a kid. 🤷‍♀️ It's long gone but a nice memory.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I remember a cafeteria up in Ind. that had the best pie. Pie crust, just the right kind is hard to find and hard to make. Their pie crust was to die for.

I got a lemon meringue coming to me from Scwan's LOL

Respected Contributor

As a youngster, my grandparents would take me to Horn & Hardart automat cafeteria.  Alsways got the same thing: Salisbury steak ( meatloaf ), mashed potatoes and baked beans.  Dessert behind the coin-operated little door: lemon meringue pie !  I can still smell and taste it all.

Long gone...what a shame !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Valued Contributor

For a special treat, we would go to Clifton's Cafeteria in California.  The food was always delicious and we had so many choices!

Honored Contributor

I don't remember cafeterias or eating out unless it was a celebration of some sort.  I remember going on picnics with the maternal grandparents or eating at their house.  We lived in an area where there were state parks with hiking and streams.

Esteemed Contributor

i LOVE cafeterias! i wish theyd come back. Anybody remember !ubys? It wasnt my favorite, but i vaguely recall a mass shooting at one....and it seems like they closed soon after. i cant remember the name of the cafeteria chain i liked....but i remember the roast beef well.

Honored Contributor

I think my first restaurant experience was the Picadilly Cafeteria in Knoxville, Tn. and their blueberry pie.  I later ate at Picadillys in Texas and here in NM.  

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361    There were many Luby's in Houston long after that incident and one at the mall in Lubbock.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment