Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Remember Cafeterias?

@Katcat1 wrote:

I remember cafeterias in high school; in one building across from my office but none in my neighborhood.

@Katcat1 This was down town.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 I stand corrected; thanks. i also remember the Picadilly cafeterjas.

Esteemed Contributor

@jlkz  My Mom took me to a Horn and Hardart in Willow Grove, PA. We would go when shopping in Jenkintown.Horn and Hardart.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

I grew up with Horn & Hardarts, but when I lived in SC,we had S&S and Morrisons.  Loved those cafeterias!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom 

We took the train into Philadelphia.  Got to use the little gum chiclet dispenser in the waiting room.  The room always smell as though it was 100 years old with uneven wooden floors !

We got shoes at an orthopedic shoe place even though there was no need for this format.  Of course, my sisters and I would " play " with the foot x-ray machine where you could see the bones move as you wiggles your feet.  

Amazing we don't have issues from that playing !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

My father's favorite place to go and take us was Horn and Hardart too.

We always got the same exact thing and I loved opening the little doors and getting whatever we wanted.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I remember going to the Horn and Hardart Automat cafeteria in Center City Philadelphia when I was a kid. Since we lived in the suburbs, it was a treat to go there (usually after getting our school uniforms). I used to love the little cups of baked beans. They had walls of "food dispensers" that each held one kind of item on the menu and kept it warm. Each had a door that opened when you inserted the correct amount of money, in nickels only. We kids thought the best part was the huge bags of nickels that the cashiers had to make change for customers.

When DH and I moved to DC, we'd sometimes go to Scholl's Cafeteria. All the food was freshly made on the premises and it was very good. It wasn't that far from my office, so I went there for lunch sometimes. You could see anyone from a street person to a political appointee there and everyone was treated with respect. If someone needed help with their tray, the cashier would ring a bell and an employee would carry it to their table for them. It must have closed about 30 years ago. 

Honored Contributor

I remember eating at Bishop's Buffet, a cafeteria in Rockford, Illinois.  They had the best Chocolate Silk pie.  

Trusted Contributor

The only cafeteria I remember growing up was at Woolworth's Five and Dime. Does that count?

Valued Contributor

The automats in NYC were always my favorite place to go - the last one closed I think in 1966 - 

To have such choices right there in front of you was so exciting - I was given my nickels and could pick out anything I wanted, until my nickels ran out.

I wish I could have shown the automat to my nieces - in 2002,  I think, The New York Public Library and the Museum of the City of New York had exhibits on them and my nieces both said how great it would have been to go to one.

It didn't take a lot of money to make a lot of happy memories.