Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Remember Cafeterias?

@Infinite Mom 47 wrote:

In OKC we went to Furrs, Piccadilly, and Boulevard .  All were the best, and sadly all gone.  I always got coconut cream pie.  YUMMO. 

@Infinite Mom 47 Cattlemans at the Stockyard in OKC has the  best coconut pie ever!  And hot rolls!  

Respected Contributor

They're still here in Texas. Luby's cafeteria is three miles down the road from me. It's closed, but there are three in town and one is open for takeout. They're not as fancy as the old ones, but you can get a good meal at a reasonable price.

Most cafeterias operate inside offices or public buildings these days, I think. My last company had a large one, Ikea is famous for their cafeteria meatballs, and the Texas state Capitol has a smaller cafeteria. I know some museums and aquariums have cafeterias, too. They're passable, but it's definitely not the same experience as the golden age of cafeterias. (Well, maybe the one at the Googleplex is. I've never seen it in person.)

What I wish we had are automats. Those always seemed so cool to me. I've only been to one place that was a large cafeteria but the desserts were in an automat wall. I don't even remember where that place was... maybe southern California? It wasn't where we lived, I think we went there when visiting family, so it could have been the midwest, not California.

We have a local chain here that Bao buns, soups, and bubble tea. You can order online and enter a code into a slick locker system when you arrive and your locker pops open with your order inside. That's the new version of the automat, I guess.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Goldengate8361    There were many Luby's in Houston long after that incident and one at the mall in Lubbock.

There are still over 2 dozen Luby's restaurants in the greater Houston area and 10 or 12 in Houston itself.

Regular Contributor

I remember going to Horn & Hardat in Manhattan since I was a little kid.  The one at 42nd Street was the very last one to close.  Loved their rice pudding and tapioca pudding.  My uncle worked there for years.  The concept of getting food from the little doors would work now with everything going on.  Thanks for the memories.

Honored Contributor

My family often went to Clifton's Cafeteria in downtown Los Angeles.  It seemed very exotic to me as a small child with the fish ponds and waterfalls, etc.   My mother hated the fact I had to see everything that was offered before I could make a choice!  That seemed reasonable to me at the time.

Regular Contributor

Thank you for your positive response about H&H

Trusted Contributor

My childhood cafeteria experience.....The Goodie Shoppe in Terre Haute IN.  Memories!

Honored Contributor

I loved it when things made w/Jell-O were considered salads.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

I went to Luby's and Piccadilly's (sp?) as a kid. If I remember correctly there was a Piccadilly's in the mall I went to as a kid. Could have been Lubys. My mom and I went often. I always got the fried fish. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 

Yes, and Luby's was all over Dallas.   We had another one there called Wyatt's and it was good too.

But the best by far was Highland Park cafeteria.  We'd go there on Sunday's after church.  The line was always long but well worth the wait.   The food was all cooked in the back and was home made delicious.  Good Texas comfort food and a million choices.   Years ago they opened others around town but the general feeling was the original was the best.   It finally closed and over time so did the rest of them.   The last one closed during the SAH order (such as it was in Texas).  They aren't re opening.