Trusted Contributor

Do You Have a Garbage Disposal?

[ Edited ]

I am thinking about installing a garbage disposal in my home.  It appears the three most available brands are Kitchen-Aid, In-Sink Aretor, and Waste King.

Do you have a garbage disposal?  What brand have you found works well, is relatively quiet, and does not break down as soon as the warranty is over?

Thank you in advance for any responses.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Have a Garbage Disposal?

[ Edited ]

How much do you plan on using it?   Just for rinsing plates.......or do you cook big meals for a large family?     They come in different powers.    I have a 1/2 hp Insinkerator.     Medium duty.     Less than $100 for the unit.   Installation would be extra.    I don't do a lot of cooking, and it's mainly for rinsing plates.    I have lived in 8 houses over the years......and all the disposals were noisy.    They last a long time if you don't mis-use it (over filling......bones, etc.)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I had one but when I redid my kitchen last Sept, I took it OUT.  I really hated it, and rarely ever used it.  You're smart to do your research on brands, but find out the pluses and minuses of the disposal.  I had too many issues with it clogging, and again, I rarely ever used it and was so careful when I did.  I'm much happier now.

Honored Contributor

I've NEVER lived in a house that didn't have a garbage disposal!! How do you live without one??? I use mine constantly. Just rebuilt my cottage and have a septic system now and I insisted on a garbage disposal! I have a upgraded Insinkerator.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I use mine every day.....the brand is GE and works great, but I have also had one of the brands the OP metioned and it worked well.

From what I have learned and read over the years...if you can eat it you can put it down the disposal.  When I was a young bride I put the rind of a watermelon in the disposal.......huge mistake and big mess!! I learned my lesson quickly. The key is to also run a lot of water as you are grinding hte food...I would not be without a disposal.

Honored Contributor

I've had one in every rental I've ever lived in and it was installed in my new Townhouse 23 years ago.  I don't use it often but I can't see living without it.

My first one in this house was an InSinkerator brand. I don't know what i have now.  I replaced it about 3 years ago when it rusted out (and flooded my kitchen when the dishwasher was emtying :/)

I know people who put everything down there, even tea bags with string.  If I can throw it out, I do. I rarely have anything that needs to be crunched up.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here is my take on it.

I have always had a garbage disposal in my kitchen sink. I used it for leftovers, certain vegetables, scraping off of plates....  I thought I was always very careful not to dispose of the things that might cause a problem..... well.... my sewer system backed up about a month ago.... sewer( smelly gross sewer!!!) backed up in my basement sink. I had to have someone come out and rotorootter out my sewer line... The plummer said that there was a bunch of food matter clogging the start of the sewer line that he had to rotorooter open... thus the back up( and a gross stinky back up it was!!!) 

The plummer said you should never use a garbage disposial and to dispose of food in the trash. Now , I  am afraid to use  the garbage disposal as it cost me ovwer $400 to clean out the sewer line.  I would not put one in knowing what I know now,

Esteemed Contributor

There are a few things my plumber told me never to put in the disposal...coffee grounds,,,,grease.......corn cobs.....celery.......bones.

I have a Insinkerator......

Honored Contributor

I have always had one,

I use it for rinsing plates and things like that.

I compost  everything that can be, I have very little food waste that goes into the garbage. 

I would not be with out one.

Super Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

There are a few things my plumber told me never to put in the disposal...coffee grounds,,,,grease.......corn cobs.....celery.......bones.

I have a Insinkerator......

Potato peels are another thing you should never put in a disposal.  I didn't know you shouldn't put coffee grounds in it.  I wonder why.

NickNack1
(formerly NickNack)