Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Have a Garbage Disposal?

I didn't know about coffee grounds either.  Wonder what that does to the disposal?  I, too, have always had a disposal.  I could live without my dishwasher more than I could my garbage disposal!  (Of course, since I live alone, doing dishes isn't a big deal!)

Valued Contributor

I replaced my old Insinkerator with a 3/4HP Insinderator.  The plumber who installed it told me what not to put into it, which was probably a lot more than I could put into it.  I never use it!  I only clean it out and run it once a week to keep the drains from smelling, etc.  Insinderator is the only brand I've ever had.

There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Honored Contributor

I have never had one in my adult life (we did have one at home when I was a kid).

We currently live in the country, and compost much of our vegetable type waste. We have a septic system, and I'm really fussy about what goes down my drains. We had to install a complete new septic tank and leach field shortly after buying here, and I would never use a garbage disposal and risk compromising that system (even though many people do without problems).

It's like many other things we live without here. No ice maker or ice and water in the door of the fridge. No dishwasher. We just do things the way people used to. I find having hot and cold running water, and two bathrooms to be a luxury compared to the way much of the world lives, and don't really think all the extras are anything but that, just luxuries  and extras (for our lifestyle, anyway).

It does seem that many things shouldn't go through the disposal, so I guess what's the point if it is just another thing that makes you have to stop, think, divide the mess, and not take care of the bigger problem (food waste disposal) all in one easy step. 

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I've NEVER lived in a house that didn't have a garbage disposal!! How do you live without one??? I use mine constantly. Just rebuilt my cottage and have a septic system now and I insisted on a garbage disposal! I have a upgraded Insinkerator.

We've had probably three of those units since 1977--ours have lasted a long time, get used and I put all sorts of stuff down them that a lot of people won't put in them.  They are wonderful!  I can't imagine living without it.

GET A GOOD ONE!  Spend the money on a good unit with a lot of horsepower, and get a very good plumber to install it!  You will be SOOOOO happy!

Honored Contributor

We have the In-Sink Aerator and have had it for YEARS.  Actually hubby's grandparents installed it for themselves (our home was their home).  I'd highly recommend having one.  When I grew up we did not have one.  I remember Mom always laid out old newspapers for this kind of trash. 

We don't have a dishwasher however, hubby's grandparents had a portable one that we had, used to use but there's only two of us and never needed to run it but once a week or so.  I found it to be a waste.  We hand wash our dishes, this doesn't bother me at all. 

I'd rather have the disposal rather than a dishwasher - and so I do.

Honored Contributor

I have always put potato peels down mine, as well as coffee grounds but we don't have lots of those.  Bones?  Not big ones, but the smaller ones from chickens, yeah.  Celery?  If I string it I throw those in the trash, but the rest of it goes.  Egg shells, they go in.  I have also chopped up many watermelon peels into pieces that will go down and haven't have had a problem with them.  Other melon peels as well.

I think part of the key is getting a really good powerful unit.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Beware if you suddenly want to install a garbage disposal when you have a septic system

The first time in my life that I had to live without a disposal was over 30 years ago, when we  bought our house and it was on a septic system.  We and others in the neighborhood have long since been hooked up to public sewer, but I have learned so many downsides to having a disposal in the first place---and am so used to dumping garbage in the trash to be carried away two times a week-- that I would not have one in my house today.

Disposals seem to cause more plumbing clogs and malfunctions than I have ever had to endure.  If you're trying to install one with a septic system, not only might you need a special permit from  the county, but you  might need to install bigger drain pipes to accommodate the debris that will be put down the disposal.  You will also need to clean out your septic tank more often, due to the additional load of solid waste.

And I agree with what a poster already said...........  the items that should not go through a disposal seem to outnumber the items that are OK to put through the disposal.  The nearby garbage can is an easier option for me!

Honored Contributor

When we lived in Pittsburgh we had a Kitchen Aide. It was fabulous. Very powerful. Now I have a GE and it is adequate but not nearly as powerful as our KA one was or as quiet. My vote would be for a KA.

Respected Contributor

I have one and don't really use it or like it.  The old one backed up with sewer yuck in the kitchen sink a year ago and I had it replaced (good for resale value and they aren't that expensive). 

I only use it when I drain the dishwater in the sink, don't even scrape plates into it, have no desire ever again for a backed up sink.  My kitchen waste goes in the garbage.  I store big waste items like melon rind in the fridge in a bag until pickup day, once a week.

Had my disposal taken out in my first house, and loved not having one.  All a matter of choice and how we each like to do things.  I don't use a dishwasher either.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I have one and wouldn't be without it~~~