Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Have a Garbage Disposal?

I have the In-Sink Erator. I don't which horsepower. I bought my new house 14 yrs ago - and this was the brand that was here. I replaced it 3 years ago, with the same brand. I also read that u shouldn't put coffee grounds down in it. At my previous home, I made a lot of hot cereal and emptied it down the garbage disposal - totally clogging it. I had to call a plumber. I would not get the lowest horsepower. They last a long time.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you, everyone, for all your replies.  I just bought a house that does not have a garbage disposal.  The city I am moving to has a lot of recycling rules (good) but allows only one 33-gallon bag of garbage per week.  If you have more, it has to be in special bags that costs $2 each.  So, I was thinking if I had a garbage disposal, that might eliminate the use of space of items that could go in the disposal.  Do you live in a city with similar limits?  Having lived out in the country all my life (except for college) and having unlimited number of bags for our weekly pick-up, I am trying to think how to reduce to one bag.

Again, thank you so much for all your info.  I copied and pasted quite a bit of information that will be very useful.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Esteemed Contributor

How about worm composting?  I'm being totally serious here, though it sounds gross.  From what I have read they will tear up paper and household food waste, and are surprisingly non-intrusive and "clean".  Then the by-product can go on to feed the garden soil.

A trash compactor?

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@wismiss wrote:

Thank you, everyone, for all your replies.  I just bought a house that does not have a garbage disposal.  The city I am moving to has a lot of recycling rules (good) but allows only one 33-gallon bag of garbage per week.  If you have more, it has to be in special bags that costs $2 each.  So, I was thinking if I had a garbage disposal, that might eliminate the use of space of items that could go in the disposal.  Do you live in a city with similar limits?  Having lived out in the country all my life (except for college) and having unlimited number of bags for our weekly pick-up, I am trying to think how to reduce to one bag.

Again, thank you so much for all your info.  I copied and pasted quite a bit of information that will be very useful.

I share my house only with my pup and only have one garbage day a week, recycling every other week. The garbage can is noticeably smaller than the recycle can. With everything I can put in the single-stream recycle can, I have yet to completely fill the garbage can in one week for the two years I've had the service. Having a disposal helps keep the garbage down.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

@depglass wrote:
We've always been told you can't have a disposal with a septic system. That's been through two houses since 1981. Now I'm just plain used to not having it.

We used ours all the time.   Lived there for 12 years without any problems.   

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

How about worm composting?  I'm being totally serious here, though it sounds gross.  From what I have read they will tear up paper and household food waste, and are surprisingly non-intrusive and "clean".  Then the by-product can go on to feed the garden soil.

A trash compactor?

Considering you sometimes only empty a compactor up to 2 weeks, some foods will stink.  I don't put any meat in mine, no wet foods.  

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

Ours might be a KA.  I'd have to check.  It's very powerful.

I've always had one.  I couldn't stand to throw out food scraps in the garbage.  That must really stink. 

I couldn't live without a dishwasher either. 

Honored Contributor

@wismiss wrote:

We recycle as much paper/plastic as we can, do not use paper towels or anything like that.  Use a garbage disposal and compost any veg/garden waste.  Some weeks we just have 2 plastic grocery  bags that we use from the grocery store for our garbage to be picked up and this is for 2 people and this summer my son is home.  We have pick up 2 x/week

So you can do that,

Honored Contributor

Yes we do.  We've had one for as long as I can remember.  I grew up with one and if it breaks, we replace it immediately.

I've not read any of the responses here, just giving my opinion.  DO NOT get a cheap disposal.  You get what you pay for with these.  We have the In sinkerator and we went middle of the road.  There are just the 2 of us so we didn't need to get crazy.  But the bottom of the line ones are just that.  My sister made that mistake.  

Honored Contributor

Ours is a Kenmore. I dump most stuff in the trash before rinsing. Not much goes through the garbage disposal. I think people put stuff in them that was not intended to put in them. I don't need our plumbing clogged up from something I put in the garbage disposal.