Honored Contributor

Do You Have A Fresh Market? Whole Foods?

Fresh Market has amazing foods, flowers, spices, meats, vegetables, seafood and many beautiful gourmet baskets for the holidays.

The one on the other side of town has the large bakery with cakes and pies under a glass case, and trays of baked goods being brought out.

Our store, as well as the next town all have tables with boxed cookies and a few quick breads and such; none of the beautiful cakes and fruit pies or eclairs. Our only bakery closed last year because of an issue with their rent, the rest of them only do party and wedding items.  No shops.

Yes, I do cook-a lot.  Sometimes I just want something different.

If you have a Whole Foods, how are their cakes and such?

We have the demographics to support a full bakery in our store which was a full size Harris Teeter.

What does your Fresh Market have?

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Have A Fresh Market? Whole Foods?

We have a Whole Foods and another one proposed.  Not my favorite store.  They have a lovely looking bakery but I have never purchased anything there.  I prefer Metropolitan Market - a high end local market.  We have two wonderful bakeries in town that I use if want a cake, etc.   

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't like either.  If you live in NC you should be getting Publix in your area...they have the best bakery & prices are way cheaper than either Whole Foods or Fresh Market. You might also be getting Sprouts soon.  They're a new "organic" speciality chain that is taking away the business from Whole Foods, Trader Joe's & Fresh Market...Try Publix Bakery, you won't be disappointed!Woman Happy

Contributor

We have both Fresh Market and Whole Foods.  Fresh Market is a beautiful store, more of a gormet type store as opposed to Whole foods, which has more of a focus on organic, health food, green, fairtrade, global, etc. 

Both stores are pricey, but i definitely go to Fresh Market once in a while as it is pleasant, good customer service, beautiful store.  Whole Foods i have never been a fan of.  Their prices are rediculously expensive, unfriendly customer service.  Im not into the whole green, liberal agenda thing and Whole Foods is definitely the epitome of a progressive agenda company  Fresh Market is a beautiful, gormet focused, traditional shop and is a pleasure to be there.  That said, both stores are pricey but i do go to Fresh Market especially during holidays for the specialty items you cant find in the supermarket.  

Honored Contributor

@wenfen wrote:

If you live in NC you should be getting Publix in your area...they have the best bakery & prices are way cheaper than either Whole Foods or Fresh Market. You might also be getting Sprouts soon. 

Wegmans is also coming to the Raleigh / Durham area.  Three stores are planned so far.

Honored Contributor

I live in a pretty rural area and don't have these chain stores. We have local organic stores. I opt to buy my fresh veggies from a local organic farm nearby. In fact we received a huge basket weekly of assorted organic things grown on their farm. Can't get any fresher and since we own a "share" we own a small part of this farm along with all the other shareholders. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

I have always been a publix shopper but where I am living now that is not an option. I have become a fan of Fresh Market. There deli sides are very good. The bistro meal is a nice dinner for my son and me. On tuesdays they have 2.99/lb chicken breasts and ground chuck which is freezer wrapped in 1lb pkgs. pumpkin pies I couldn't make as good. Lastly I am doing their small thanksgiving meal this year.. I go to the local store and Aldis for everyday needs. 

Super Contributor

Publix bakery - yum! We're in the Ocala area in Florida, and i adore Publix. We can get NY-style rye bread at ours, though I'm not thrilled with their Italian breads (we're originally from NJ, and we were spoiled by the Italian and Jewish bakeries in our home town). The deli meats are  great (though I'd like the option of hand-packed salads instead of pre-packaged). Try their cracked-wheat bread -- it has to be speciual-ordered, but it makes the most amazing toast, and a grilled cheese sandwich made with it tastes just like mac and cheese.

Esteemed Contributor

I have neither near me and I would like to have a really good grocery in our area.  We have the usual Safeway, ShopRite, Acme, Food Lion, and Giant.  When I get out to Ann Arbor, I love to go into Kroger's.  Publix and Wegman's when I go south.

We have a very nice farmer's market in our area that is open all year, but the prices are sky high.  We also have weekend farmer markets but they are crowded and the produce is not the quality that I like (but it is very cheap--you get what you pay for). 

Our local bakery stopped making donuts because a donut place opened up down the street and they make terrible donuts.  When I asked our local bakery if they would ever make brioche, they did not know what that was. 

I would really like to have one excellent grocery where I could get a nice selection of high-quality goods every day.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I have one Fresh Market, two Whole Foods, and two Wegman's all within 25 miles from me.  Fresh Market is two miles away and I go there for a quick run for bakery goods and wine. Whole Foods is just a bit farther, and I go there for my seasoning blends and meats.  Both Wegman's are the farthest, and equidistant in opposite directions.  I go there for holiday BIG shopping for everything except my seasoning blends.

My normal weekly shopping is usually my neighborhood Giant, Safeway, and/or Trader Joe's, depending on what I need that week.