Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Have A Fresh Market? Whole Foods?

@ValuSkr wrote:

@jlkz wrote:

In this weekend's Business Section of the paper, a disgruntled major shareholder of Whole Foods is causing a stir.  THe stock has fallen approx. 50%, customer service complaints are regular, and questionable quality and pricing of product is another concern.  When this occurs with other stocks, there usually is a change of management or the company is bought.  Interesting....

There was some talk last month that Kroger's was interested in buying Whole Foods.  It would be an interesting addition to their portfolio of stores.

@jlkz,When Whole Foods opened up across the street from where I worked, everyone couldn't wait to go to the beautiful hot food bar for dinner breaks!  It was horrible!  Every bite of the chicken I bought tasted like I was swallowing an entire bottle of spice-per bite!  I threw it away!  I gave it one more try and got grilled vegetables.  The under side of the vegetables were chared solid black and were carbon.  That ended me.

They never did refill the fish so I couldn't get that and the pizza was always gone.  

Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

@LillyStella wrote:

We have both Fresh Market and Whole Foods.  Fresh Market is a beautiful store, more of a gormet type store as opposed to Whole foods, which has more of a focus on organic, health food, green, fairtrade, global, etc. 

Both stores are pricey, but i definitely go to Fresh Market once in a while as it is pleasant, good customer service, beautiful store.  Whole Foods i have never been a fan of.  Their prices are rediculously expensive, unfriendly customer service.  Im not into the whole green, liberal agenda thing and Whole Foods is definitely the epitome of a progressive agenda company  Fresh Market is a beautiful, gormet focused, traditional shop and is a pleasure to be there.  That said, both stores are pricey but i do go to Fresh Market especially during holidays for the specialty items you cant find in the supermarket.  

You've said everything I wanted to say and said it beautifully. We have both stores; Fresh Market for several years and Whole Foods just this summer.The atmosphere at Fresh Market draws me in, and there are some really wonderful things to purchase from flowers to flours; beautiful meat market; fresh veggies of every kind; huge selection of breads, pies and cakes; a great salad bar; pre-made salads; wonderful frozen foods selection. I went to Whole Foods, wasn't impressed with the overpriced stock, bought a hot meal for myself (salmon, veggies, etc.) but didn't eat most of it. It is very doubtful that I will return to Whole Foods, but I'll be at Fresh Market at

least twice a week. Maybe even more often during the holidays.

@Perkup,I LOVE their white chocolate cake.  So nice for a change.  All the other things are fantastic!  I live on one side of the county and the only FM with a full bakery is on the other side!

Contributor

Thank You Perkup, that was a lovey complement.!

The Fresh Market has a very good feeling about it, its very inviting and i feel very relaxed as soon as i walk in, its very civilized and feels like the way life used to be.

Contributor

I think each store is different according to the geographical area its in.  

I have noticed the sanitation grade in my whole foods in the bakery and take out food dept. never has a good number, which is not good.  Also, many times i find things in the dairy case that have an expired date.  Thats definitely not good.  

My Fresh Market has a small bakery section but very nice.

I never buy baked goods because i love to bake, everything from babka to all kinds of cookies, cakes, tortes, tarts.  I am an imsomniac, and sometimes i bake at al crazy hours of the night.  Tonight i baked coconut milk chocolate chip cookies !  Heart

Honored Contributor

We don't have any stores like this in my area.  The closest Whole Foods is about 45 minutes or so away.  I'd like to get up there sometime, but have other things going on and haven't made it a priority.  I'll get there one of these days.  There was a rumor going around that we were going to get a Trader Joe's about 30 mins. away, but that's all it was, a rumor.  I've been to a TJ's about a half dozen times, when I visit a family member, and I really like that place.

There's a place (two locations actually) in the Cincinnati area that I'd like to check out sometime, too, called Jungle Jim's, but that requires vacation plans.  

Honored Contributor

@ECBG, yes we do have a Fresh Market in our city, but I don't go there that often but it is a nice store!  We are getting a Whole Foods, which BTW, opens up tomorrow!  I don't know if I will get there tomorrow, but hopefully by the weekend!  We also have many Publix stores in our city as well, which I do shop in at least once a week!

Contributor

We have both The Fresh Market and Whole Paycheck in our area but rarely shop at either. Kroger and Jungle Jim's are our go-to grocery stores. I will go to TFM for their sourdough bread, it's the best I've had in this city. We also have Fresh Thyme, which I love, but isn't really close enough to make a regular store. I'd love to have Publix again, or Wegman's. I do get to shop at both when I visit my parents, but it's not the same.

Honored Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

@ECBG, yes we do have a Fresh Market in our city, but I don't go there that often but it is a nice store!  We are getting a Whole Foods, which BTW, opens up tomorrow!  I don't know if I will get there tomorrow, but hopefully by the weekend!  We also have many Publix stores in our city as well, which I do shop in at least once a week!

@Hooty, Does your FM have a full bakery or items in boxes on tables? What do you like in the bakery at Publix?

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG, No Fresh Market has a bakery, deli, and fresh cut meat dept. and also a salad bar, also a nice wine collection.

Gosh, Publix Bakery is really nice, but I try not to buy from them that much, LOL!  They have a delicious Carrot Cake, Apple Pies, and a Chocolate cake to die for.  I have also bought cupcakes for the grands!

Honored Contributor

THE FRESH MARKET is one of my most favorite places to shop!

we have a beautiful well maintained store that just looks and smells good the second you enter it.

we have a full bakery.....tables of cookies, cakes, donuts, breads and everything under glass and self service also.

we have a great deli with a sushi bar attached, wonderful cheeses, wings/rotisserie chickens/roasted pork loins, and of course the prepared foods.

lots of bins of coffee to choose from.

nostalgia candies and beautiful holiday displays of special candies for stockings and gifting.

love the bulk food area with sugars, nuts, energy foods, snacks.

huge salad bar, soup bar, and huge olive/peppers/garlic bar.

all different types of sodas and mixers. lots of water choices (love fiji, hawaiian, fred in particular).

great fresh fruits and vegetables and they do beautiful veggie and fruit displays for parties.

one of the main reasons why i like it is the size. it is not too big like most of the grocery stores these days. you can get in and out easily.

we dont have a whole foods that close, but we do have a wegmans a few miles away. i still prefer the fresh market.

customer service is excellent and i love the free samples.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein