Esteemed Contributor

Cooking/Eating During Heat Wave

It's going to be 90 today, 94 tomorrow here in NE PA, 1st 90 degrees days of the summer.  Boo, hiss.

I'm not standing over a hot stove or turning on the oven. 

Threw some sauce and meatballs from the freezer into the crockpot, meatball sliders and salad for supper tonight.

DD brought a large sub last night so we will split that for lunch. Tomorrow, big salads with grilled chicken.

Tonight, a rousing game of Scrabble and a wine cooler with fans all around. Keeping Petunia from the Scrabble board will be added entertainment.

If you are in the hot zone, what's on the menu?

Honored Contributor

Re: Cooking/Eating During Heat Wave

We are going to use our grill tonight. For the first time since last fall.

I can't believe this "heatwave" is for 2 days and then temperatures are back to average. Where did this "heatwave" come from?

Honored Contributor

Tonight:  Spicy Mongolian Beef-------------Delivery

Tomorrow:  Left over BBQ Baby Back ribs w/pre-made salad from Wagmens.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Still waiting on that promised "heatwave" here in CT. Just returned from Florida, expecting the "summerlike" weather they reported, but it's cool, cloudy and post-rainy here right now. Smiley Sad

Though, the sun is supposed to start poking out around noonish.

As for cooking/eating...got to fill the fridge again and do some grocery shopping. But from what's around was able to make a cold orzo, feta, veggie, chickpea salad with vinaigrette for now. Had a grilled cheese & tomato sandwich for breakfast.

Going to use up the romaine still in the fridge and make a big tossed salad for later, and have some tuna in the cabinet I might make at some point.

That's it, until I shop for some fresh produce and staples, though I do have some scallops, shrimp, and plenty of veggies in the freezer. I could whip up something with those, or add to the salad, if I feel like having that.

Have a good weekend and enjoy your wine cooler later @CrazyKittyLvr2 , that sounds nice! Stay cool. 😎🥂☀️

Esteemed Contributor

@amyb  Thanks.  You have a good weekend also. At the ripe old age of 71 I don't do well in 90 degree humid weather.  At least this is only a couple days not a week or two.

I wouldn't last anywhere that is always like this.

Esteemed Contributor

We do not have heat in Seattle yet ... probably months away. sigh.

When it is hot, the airfryer comes in handy as does the slow cooker. There are times we have watermelon for dinner. We've even had cereal for dinner when it's too hot.

But it rarely gets very hot here for too long. When it's below 85 we will grill something easy. We do grill all year long ... just not when it's in the 90's.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 Woman Very Happy A heat wave?  You consider 90 degrees is a heat wave?  We are thankful when it cools down to 90 in the summer.  Everyone is talking about how nice it is.

To us 100 is getting pretty warm, above that is the beginnings of a heat wave.  Husband just came inside complaining about it being cold--56 degrees.  Unheard of for us at this time of the year.  I had a laugh as I was reading your post and his comment.

What do we eat?  We might eat cold grain or pasta salads, green salads, cereal, sandwiches,grab some take-out, plus about anything else we normally eat.  Around here it's just summer to us, so life goes on.  Have fun!  Thanks for posting this.  

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla  I got rid of our big grill when DH died 3 years ago. 

DD and I bought a Ninja (grills, air frys, bakes) and love it. Best purchase in a long time.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac  Sadly, no delivery of any kind here in the country.  I miss civilization. lol

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I live in the hot zone (South Florida).  And apropos of you mentioning your subs, that is what I am fixing for tonight's dinner.  Going to stop at the Italian deli on my way home & buy fresh rolls & coldcuts.  I have all the other fixings.  That will be our dinner, light & easy.

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread