Trusted Contributor

We do our formal dinner on Christmas Eve. Prime rib, Yorkshire puddings, a jus, horserdish cream, several sides and dessert. We do dress up.

Christmas Day it’s all about having fun and relaxing. Well....I am the chief cook so....

I do appetizers. We open gifts in the morning and then I put everything out and it lasts all day. Replenish when/if needed. Hot things, cold things, cheese ball, dips, salads, sweets, etc. We dress casually, comfy.

It is a lot less work this way having the fancy dinner on Christmas Eve when there isn’t really anything else going on. We switched it that way about 12 years ago and haven’t gone back. The whole family prefers it.

Honored Contributor

On Christmas Eve, we serve Pig in the Blanket ( Sarma) also called stuffed cabbage rolls by some people...cooked in sauerkraut with sausage a side mashed potatoes and homemade bread.

On Christmas Day, we serve a feast at 3 pm.

Ham

turkey with stuffing and gravy

pork roast

Home made spaghetti with sauce and meatballs

Italian wedding soup

steamed shrimp

mashed potatoes

candied sweet potatoes

corn

green beans

roasted Brussels sprouts

salad

antipasto plate

veggie and cheese plate and dips, etc.

different pies, cakes, cookies and candies, all home made for dessert

home made bread

Red and white wine and non alcoholic wine

and usually more.

We have a lot of people here.

Valued Contributor

In my family we always had a huge lasagna, bread, and salads.  

Super Contributor

I do a sirkion roast , twiced baked potatoes 

, green beans and home made rolls in a skillett and a cheesecake for desert! 

Trusted Contributor

Is it Christmas dinner time already??? I'm still exhausted from Thanksgiving!

Respected Contributor

it's 4 of us Christmas eve. DD & b/f will do Christmas brunch at his house on Christmas so I made meatballs, doing Italian wedding soup & olive garden will do lasagna & their lemon cake.Also salad (olive garden dressing) &garlic bread. Plus cheese tray, they just want to take home food plus gifts so fine with me. With just 4 people we will do less. 

Honored Contributor

QualityGal wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

Hey QG, et al!

Now, pardon me but I'm not certain if 'supper' means lunch or dinner.   For lunch I have never done anything.  It's just the two of us.   

For a dinner, I have been doing a ham, mashed sweet potatoes, and a veg.  But this year, due to my broken arm, I got out of both Thanksgiving and christmas dinners, because there is no way I could manage it.

So, nothing planned this time.    I hope I don't get spoiled from not having to do a bunch of cooking this year, when next year's holiday season rolls around.  Smiley Wink

Hey CB,

I didn't know how to write that up since we say lunch, and then there's dinner sometimes called supper also. So I did it that way.  We do b, l, and dinner.  

Gee, hope that arms better, (but not too soon Woman Wink) LOL

Same here - b, l, d.   

Arm doing ok but the husband recognizes (and actually said it first) what the doctor told me.  It will be a good year before it's healed as much as it will.  It was a pretty bad break.  Having broken my left arm, and not being able to use my left hand at all for a couple of months, has taught me how stupid my right hand is.  I was a klutz before but having to use my right hand made me ten times the klutz, plus it has absolutely no strength.   I still cannot even cut an apple in half.  Have to stick the knife in and then use the mallet to knock it through.  

Hope this finds you happy and well!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 Yeah. Breakfast food, but at supper time. 

French toast, biscuits & gravy, fruit/yogurt parfaits, bacon & eggs.

The grandsons love that. 

Respected Contributor

im half itaian and my wifes parents are from italy so christmas eve its all about fish.

Honored Contributor

We are in a time of transition with holidays.

There have only been four of us (me, hubby, son and my mom) for many years. My brother his wife and two children are not with us on the holiday anymore.

I do a lot of baking, cooking and big meals throughout the year, and I prefer to take Christmas off more or less. 

In the morning when opening gifts, we have a My Grandm'as coffee cake, and a big platter of all the cookies and candies I make, and we graze on sweets all morning. 

In the afternoon, I usually serve a light meal that was prepared ahead. Often it is just a big salad and bread. We have all eaten so much throughout the month, that I just don't find it necessary for a big meal for just the few of us. 

This year, my son is living on his own for the first time, and he has a serious girlfriend who's family is very locked in about holidays and when they get together....no bending for others needs/wishes. I always said I wouldn't be like that, so we are still ironing out just when they will be able to be here, and we will build what we are doing from there.

Her family tends to do a big dinner on Christmas evening, so I don't want to force them into eating a big meal with us first, as I remember as a young bride, having to run from one family get together to another ( and another), and eating so much in such a short time, I was about sick. I just can't see going to all the trouble and work, making people feel obligated to eat when they have other places to do the same thing just a few hours later.

If I had a big crew coming in for the day, I'd be happy to make a bigger meal, but for just the few of us, no one is really interested in me going to all the work of it on the holiday.....so I don't!!