Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone else watch this?  I usually see what they have in their baskets and then mostly tune them out as they prepare.  Then see what awful things they make, comments by the judges and who gets chopped.

I sure wouldn't want to be a judge.......how can they eat some of that stuff?  Last night, and it might have been a rerun, they had a camel loin.  What???  Bizarre to me.  No way could I eat some of that stuff.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I've watched the show since it first aired in 2009 with Ted Allen as Host .  I don't know how the Chefs can fgure out what to make with some of the  strange ingredients.

I think the worst baskets were the ones Alton Brown  put together for the Chefs.

Years ago , I went to a food and wine event in Baltimore that was hosted out of a historic building . The event was tremendous as each floor of the building  had various events such as wine tasting . Ted Allen was one there  doing a cooking performance along with another Chef who also gave a demonstartion .

Honored Contributor

DD and I watch---we like when the kids are on--am truly amazed at how knowledgeable they are for their age--but some of the ingredients are really bizarre and how in the world can you figure out a dish in 30 minutes----no I wouldn't be a judge either----would freak me out when the chicken isn't done--but of course I would check very carefully---

Esteemed Contributor

@Patriot3  We were watching that episode as well. Yes, I'm sure it was a rerun. Camel is unusual and (for us) bizarre. I remember when Andrew Zimmern did a camel episode on Bizarre Foods. I wouldn't like to be a judge or a competitor; however, I sometimes do Chopped with the grandchildren where we raid the refrigerator and try to come up with something new and different. They love it! Last Christmas we did a potsticker soup over the fireplace with Perfect Gourmet potstickers and all sorts of Christmas leftovers. We also do it with English muffin pizzas.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm sure that many of these cooking shows give competitors days or weeks to come up with recipes they cook within a pre determined time limit.  On the Great British Baking Show some contestants have alluded to trying out their recipes dozens of times prior to show (makes sense).

Valued Contributor

@patbz wrote:

I'm sure that many of these cooking shows give competitors days or weeks to come up with recipes they cook within a pre determined time limit.  

I agree - I watched it a couple of times, but then I realized that there is NO way they could come up with those dishes "on the fly" with the unconventional items found in the baskets...

Remember Peeps, this is "Reality TV," and a lot of it is scripted.

The same with Iron Chef - While I still watch it on occasion, I'm 99.9% sure the Chefs know (well in advance) what "Secret Ingredient" will be revealed.

Esteemed Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Patriot3  We were watching that episode as well. Yes, I'm sure it was a rerun. Camel is unusual and (for us) bizarre. I remember when Andrew Zimmern did a camel episode on Bizarre Foods. I wouldn't like to be a judge or a competitor; however, I sometimes do Chopped with the grandchildren where we raid the refrigerator and try to come up with something new and different. They love it! Last Christmas we did a potsticker soup over the fireplace with Perfect Gourmet potstickers and all sorts of Christmas leftovers. We also do it with English muffin pizzas.

@PA Mom-momYou're a good Grandma........sounds like fun Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@LavernLuvsShoes wrote:

@patbz wrote:

I'm sure that many of these cooking shows give competitors days or weeks to come up with recipes they cook within a pre determined time limit.  

I agree - I watched it a couple of times, but then I realized that there is NO way they could come up with those dishes "on the fly" with the unconventional items found in the baskets...

Remember Peeps, this is "Reality TV," and a lot of it is scripted.

The same with Iron Chef - While I still watch it on occasion, I'm 99.9% sure the Chefs know (well in advance) what "Secret Ingredient" will be revealed.

@patbz @LavernLuvsShoes   I've always thought they were given a "heads up" too.  Just makes sense.  Yes, "reality" TV........right!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I watch it a lot. Probably not a week goes by that I don't see it several times. I'm one who doesn't think they are given info ahead on what's going to be in the baskets so they can formulate a plan. 

I can't stand Alton Brown nor the guy, he's a chef but sometimes acts as a judge........going blank on his name, Robert something or other, big muscled arms, has a show where he helps/rescues restaurants in trouble. Think he's married to a female Asian wrestler. Unless I dreamed that last statement. 

Oh Irvine....Robert Irvine.

Respected Contributor

@shaggygirl  I also watch the show and wondered how on earth they have a plan in mind given only seconds to come up with one, yet they all start running to the pantry grabbing all sorts of items.   

As for Robert Irvine, he just gives me the creeps.  Don't know why, just does!

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!